Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a Freshmen in high school and have been playing Alto since 6th grade, and I am looking for an upgrade under $3,000. I am currently playing on what I do believe is a Yamaha YAS-200AD, which is valued at like $600 I think. My private instructor Ron Jones suggested for me to get something in the Yamaha 62 or Custom EX series'. What are some suggestions you all have in mind? On from what I've seen on this forum site the Selmer Mark VI and Cannonballs seem to be idolized quite a bit. Anyhow let's just see what you all think! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
127 Posts
An important fact that would aid in our recommendations would be what kind of tone you want to have and what style you want to play. The big idea is that you should find somewhere that stocks a bunch of saxophones and just sit there and play them all one at a time. That is the way you should go about buying a sax. From a quality standpoint, you can't go wrong with anything that you see mentioned on this forum in a positive manner. Selmer Yangiswa, Yamaha, Keilwerth, Cannonball, and P. Mauriat are all pretty well known brands. You could also try the vintage route with a Conn, Beuscher, Martin, Selmer IV, or one of countless others. Until there is more information, it is very difficult to give an accurate recommedation. Even after that, you are still the expert on what you need and what you want to have.There is a horn out there for everybody, you just need to find out which one is yours.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
First of all,
idependently of the brand and model there are far too many good and bad horns out there. If you are lucky you can get a cheap Yamaha 275 and it is a great player if you are less lucky it could be crap. The same goes with every other brand and model independently from the cost. I played so many Mark Vi that were ridiculously bad someone whould have to pay me money to play them.
As a pro i advice you, to try out a horn together with a professional player before you buy one. Don't go the way: oh i want a Mark VI. It is not the horn, it is the player. But the horn should have good intonation, a sound you like, that is flexible and has good mechanics. Typical problems of Saxophones are not that easy to discover at a model for someone without enough experience, therefore ask your teacher to help you finding the right horn for you.
But never buy blindly!!!! Try many different brands and models and also try some cheaper horns, you may get surprised.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys! As for the particular tone or sound I want I'm not really quite sure. Whatever would be appropriate for large group Symphonic Band, as I will probably be using my old saxophone for marching in case of injuring the horn.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Go to a store and try out a bunch of the big 4 saxes(Selmer, Yamaha, Yani, Keilworth) and the better known Taiwanese horns like Cannonball and P Mauriat. Don't neglect trying out used horns either.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would recommend a yas 62 Yamaha. It has superior build quality intonation tone is rich and colorful, it can be a warm classical sax and it can be a brighter jazz sax with the right mouthpieces. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I would recommend a yas 62 Yamaha. It has superior build quality intonation tone is rich and colorful, it can be a warm classical sax and it can be a brighter jazz sax with the right mouthpieces. Good luck!
Funny, i playtested a Tenor yas 62 Yamaha last week and the thing was crap and not worth the money. The intonation sucked.
There is no general rule but: one sax of a model of a certain brand can be great, the other crap. Try as many horns as possible (even of the same model of the same brand) and let a professional player help you on this decision if you don't want to burn money. I do this service for free for all my students.
And as Mezmorizor said don't neglect used horns, more than once i too found used horns that were fantastic players for a cheap price for my students.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Funny, i playtested a Tenor yas 62 Yamaha last week and the thing was crap and not worth the money. The intonation sucked.
There is no general rule but: one sax of a model of a certain brand can be great, the other crap. Try as many horns as possible (even of the same model of the same brand) and let a professional player help you on this decision if you don't want to burn money. I do this service for free for all my students.
And as Mezmorizor said don't neglect used horns, more than once i too found used horns that were fantastic players for a cheap price for my students.
It would have been a YTS-62 if its a tenor and I would suggest from the sound of your description that it was in need of a setup by a good tech. The 62 keywork is fantastic with adjustment screws just about everywhere making it one of the easiest sax's to work with a a tech to get the setup, feel and intonation just about as good as you can possible get on any good sax. My YAS-875EX is shimmed as per all the other pro models but for my 2p it would be even greater if it had the same adjustment capabilitiy as the 62.

Korbanot I would go for an original 62 (no bar on the left hand pinky paddle) and the money you save take to a reputable tech for an overhaul / service / repad you will get a great versatile horn and not as bright sounding as the later 62MkII version if you can afford new the 875EX is an awsome horn along with Selmer Paris horns which are even more costly. Play all and decide what you like and hold out for it.

Kenny

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/MKVII fanatic/Forum Cont
1,211 Posts
personally, for under $3000 I would consider a gently used early production Selmer Paris Serie II alto, one in very good shape and the earlier made the better for a darker concert tone. I think it will hold it's value better than the Yamaha 62 & IMHO has a more emotive sound. they are very good horns. I would try several of them as Selmers do vary somewhat having a lot of their contruction done by hand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts