Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a Runyon piece at auction that was listed as an alto piece. When I received it, well, it's not an alto piece. Comparing it to my Jody Jazz Classics for alto and tenor, the piece fits right between them in terms of length. It fits on my tenor and plays okay, though intonation is a little spotty in the high end. The tip measures .085", which is right on for a tenor 6.

I thought it might be a C-Melody piece, which is numbered the same as B-flat tenor pieces, but the only pics I can find of a C-Mel are all clearly marked "C Melody" and have a smooth baffle, whereas this one has no markings other than "Runyon" and "6", and has a very small drop-off in the baffle similar to photos of the "Spoiler" model.

In the "group photos" below, this piece is right in the middle between all of my JJ Classics.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One more pic.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Don’t know much about it......but I would like to have your red Soprano mouthpiece! Would you sell it? :)

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, the JJs aren't going anywhere. I keep coming back to them and falling in love with them all over again, especially the soprano!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,443 Posts
I don't know what you have there but it sure looks like a C-tenor. Is the shank bore too big for an alto?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know what you have there but it sure looks like a C-tenor. Is the shank bore too big for an alto?
It eats the cork entirely, whereas the JJ alto comes about halfway. The mystery piece fits on my tenor, the JJ alto does not. I tried playing the piece on my alto, and it did not sound good, about as good as you'd expect a tenor piece to sound on an alto. It was passable on tenor, but I only gave it maybe 15 minutes of playtime. A longer session with an appropriate reed may be a bit more revealing.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Possibly an alto, with an oversized bore? If its going on too far, that may affect the tone. Try using tape to build up the cork, and position the mp where the intonation is correct, then evaluate the tone. Does the table fit an alto reed closely? Check the window length too. It looks pretty small to be a C melody. I keep seeing Runyons with different markings and baffles, I don't think they were very standardized.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Possibly an alto, with an oversized bore?
I don't think so. According to the Runyon site 6 for tenor/c-mel should be .085", which is exactly what this piece measures. An alto 6 should be a .077", and while I'm sure they didn't always line up so perfectly, the fact that the piece uses tenor reeds (alto reeds are too small) suggests that is definitely not an alto piece.

While it's shorter than my JJ tenor piece (aka Runyon Custom,) it is about the same length as my Ebolin tenor pieces. I've never seen a C-mel horn, and certainly never a mouthpiece for one, so I really have no clue how they compare to b-flat tenor pieces.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts