Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have googled Rico V2 reed but no results...

I played this reed on a Wagner 5 slimline mouthpiece and it blows very easy and airy , I tried Vandoren blue 2 , 2.5 and 3 and Lavoz medium but SO difficult to get notes out ..,

What strenght has this reed ?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,452 Posts
Very old Rico #V-2 (#2, V-16 cut)), at least 35 years old. This was the standard Rico reed featuring 'The V-16 cut' also known as the 'brown box' reed. BTW, the V-16 cut is still the favorite of most players whether they realize it or not.

Its not the 'orange box, its the brown box.

V16 is only a Vandoren thing if you weren't around when it was a Rico thing.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Yes it's a brown box reed - strength 2.

V16 is Vandoren.

Brown box is not the same as orange box. The profile of the brown box reed is more similar to today's Select Jazz - thicker spine. As to strength, I used to play brown box 3 1/2, and I still have some laying around. This is about the same as a 3 Medium Select Jazz. In contrast, you need a 4 or 4 1/2 orange box reed to get that same amount of resistance today. The orange box reeds have a much lower cut with a thinner spine.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,452 Posts
Try a regular Rico 2 or 2 1/2. Many of us have sworn that today's reeds are not as good as those of 40 years ago - maybe we're right! The V series Rico reed was the standard because no matter where a musician might go, he had an excellent chance of finding them.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I like Rico reeds for clarinet. 90% of the time I just put one on and it plays fine. For some reason I haven't found a brand of tenor sax reeds I can do that with. Maybe because I find sax so much harder to make a nice sound with. Still searching.

·
Administrator
17,300 Posts
Very old Rico #V-2 (#2, V-16 cut)), at least 35 years old. This was the standard Rico reed featuring 'The V-16 cut' also known as the 'brown box' reed. BTW, the V-16 cut is still the favorite of most players whether they realize it or not.

Its not the 'orange box, its the brown box.

V16 is only a Vandoren thing if you weren't around when it was a Rico thing.
That's funny!

I just went this afternoon to a 'garage' sale (old stock sale) of a big music shop here in NL and bought 40 old reeds for 15 Euro. One of the boxes is the same brown Rico box as reported in your post (containing 25 reeds). Also scored some old Plasticovers and Hemke boxes with 5 in a box. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts