Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've got a Jumbo Java A45 and I'm looking for a reed that will give that full "Jumbo Java" sound.

I've used Rico Classics which might not be a good idea, and red Javas and it's close to the sound that I want, but not there yet.

What do you guys use to get that bright tone?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Java Greens and V12s. I use 2.5 strength on both but you might wanna step up to a 3.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you mean V16s and not V12s because V12 is a classical reed

I regularly play on 3s but 3s are a bit soft and 3 1/2 too hard.

So should I still get 3s?

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
When I was playing my Java T95 as my main tenor piece I would sometimes use V16's. I remember that it really cut through in amplified settings.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Do you mean V16s and not V12s because V12 is a classical reed
Sorry, yes I mean V16. I use V12s on my Brilhart...
I would try a 3 first, V16s are quite a bit stiffer than Javas or Ricos

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm currently using red Javas, but I think I'll try V16s next

And I thought Plasticover would give you more of a buzzy tone

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
My favourites are green Javas. RSJ come next.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What are RSJs?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh. I've seen Rico Jazz Selects before, but I don't know the difference between the filed and unfiled. Is there any notable difference?

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,234 Posts
I have used many reeds on my Jumbo Java A45. Green Javas seems to be what fits better, number 3. V16's are Ok and I used 2.5 and 3's.

In my experience, Ligs have to do. Optimum is very good on Jumbo Javas. Palette Number 1 is my choice. Master Lig. is not of my complete liking. Rovner Light is a very good alternative for this mouthpiece.

Now, what has given me the best results and no way is as bright as some might think is Plasticovers Number 3. If played with the Rovner Light the saxophone has a very nice sound.

Bottom line, if that A45 Jumbo Jamba is what you are looking, try the Green Javas, number 3 and if possible, try it with the Optimum Lig..

All the best,

JI

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm still experimenting with my A45 since I'm still new to it, and I don't have the money to buy the Optimum lig since I'm also on a High School kid without a job's budget. But I do use the BG Revelation lig which has been working decently since I got it about 2 years ago.

·
2,234 Posts
That BG Ligs. work very well. What sound do you have in your mind? Warren Hill? Anybody else?

I'm still experimenting with my A45 since I'm still new to it, and I don't have the money to buy the Optimum lig since I'm also on a High School kid without a job's budget. But I do use the BG Revelation lig which has been working decently since I got it about 2 years ago.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Warren Hill would probably be the main sound that I'm lookin for

·
2,234 Posts
Warren uses Java green reeds number 3 and if I looked correctly, it was a Masters Lig. from Vandoren. He uses a Mark VI. The reeds were confirmed by himself.

All the best,

JI

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great to know. And I'm hoping to get a tone that would be relatively close to his with a Yanagisawa A992. Let's see how that works out, when I start practicing more intensely on the JJs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts