Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a reed...let’s call it exotic. Cane, one in the box. Marketing materials explain the reasons it costs more than typical sax reeds—-but I lost all that paper work months ago and I’m just now finding and playing the reed. Thank in advance.

I can’t tell you how it plays yet as I’m in the 7day preparation ritual. But at first mezzopiano mpc and neck test, it is positively responsive.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
7 day preparation ritual?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I first flatten the reeds like Bob using regular paper to smooth out the flat side: https://youtu.be/9Semp3MkLHE

But then I’ll use a method I adapted from this video https://youtu.be/bhNcZopC4dM (go to 3:02.) Using this method is the first time I’ve gotten a reed to last and sound great for a long time.

Usually a reed would last a week or two, perhaps one night. But after adopting these two practices, reeds last two-three months. Even after being gig worthy, the still sound and okay well enough after that to practice. That’s my experience after a year of trying this method.

I use a Reedjuvenate using either vodka or listerine in the sponge to store my active reeds. But also the Rico reedvault (basically a smallTupperware tub) with medium humidity vitalizer pack for storing reeds.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I first flatten the reeds ...using regular paper to smooth out the flat side.
The "exotic" reed in OP photo looks like the flat side was "smoothed" with a stiff wire brush or a hacksaw blade.
It will be quite a feat to seal the pores on this one. Is this a joke that I am missing?

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,016 Posts
The "exotic" reed in OP photo looks like the flat side was "smoothed" with a stiff wire brush or a hacksaw blade.
It will be quite a feat to seal the pores on this one. Is this a joke that I am missing?
+1. I also noticed this. The back of that reed looks terrible, with those deep grooves; I wonder how well it could seal to the mpc table?

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
7 day preparation ritual?
:faceinpalm::faceinpalm::faceinpalm:

I can hear the announcement now halfway through the gig: "Sorry folks but that's all for tonight. My reed broke and the only replacement I have is still 3 days from finishing its preparation ritual."

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lol. It’s a brand new reed. Rubbed it on white paper. Soaked it. Pressed the pulp on flat glass. This one was stored in a basic reed guard-the black one in the photo above in the reed vault. I’ve done this for two days. I’ve played it on the neck only for about 10mins total. It seals just fine.

I’ve had it for a long time-packaging thrown out a long time ago.

You guys are funny! Once the Reed are prepped I can rotate several of them.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Week-long reed preparation. Great. I've come to the conclusion saxes are just too much maintenance. Prep the reed, wax the cork, assemble neck to sax, play, clean mouthpiece, remove neck, clean, swab the sax. Easier to play sax CD on stereo.

Clarinet similar issues. Recorder, too, but easier.

Guitar? Have to tune strings. Annoying. Violin, too, plus bow maintenance.

Trumpet? Too much spit. Also too loud.

Harmonica? Still have moisture. Maybe reed breaks and gets stuck in lung. Expensive surgery.

Keyboard is best. I can choose sax or organ voice on it.

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Week-long reed preparation. Great. I've come to the conclusion saxes are just too much maintenance. Prep the reed, wax the cork, assemble neck to sax, play, clean mouthpiece, remove neck, clean, swab the sax. Easier to play sax CD on stereo.

Clarinet similar issues. Recorder, too, but easier.

Guitar? Have to tune strings. Annoying. Violin, too, plus bow maintenance.

Trumpet? Too much spit. Also too loud.

Harmonica? Still have moisture. Maybe reed breaks and gets stuck in lung. Expensive surgery.

Keyboard is best. I can choose sax or organ voice on it.
Man, you slay me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I HEAR YA!!! Been playing sax 30+ years. Have tried to quit twice. It isn’t up to me. Bass, keys and vocals—but sax won’t let me go.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,600 Posts
This should be a sticky that automatically pops up whenever anybody complains because they are still using cane reeds.

How to prepare a cane reed.

1. Lick the reed in a respectful manor and place the reed in a comfortable location.
2. Fast for three days, licking and turning the reed over at dawn and dusk of each day's fasting.
3. On the fourth day, place the reed in your palm aligned with your fingers.
4. Place your other hand on top and hold your hands up in preparation for praying.
5. Blow warm most air between your thumbs while focusing your astral oneness.
6. Concentrate on the transfiguration of harmonic convergence.
7. Listen carefully to experience the reed's emergent fusion and rhythmic dopple fart.
8. Repeat.

With luck, they will all starve to death and that's the last we will have to hear about cane reed preparation.

Mark

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lol Mark. For the past 3 months IVe been playing a single. Legere Signature 3. (After going through several Hinoki Bamboo) For the tones, I need to make my horn sing cane is supreme. Those Hinoki Bamboo are amazing and then suddenly not. The Legere SIG 3 functioned the best for me but not great. Whenever I’d put a cane reed on-I could play more musically. Some people play sax saw...I need a lyrical quality. For me, It’s about the sound, if all one requires is a note, any material will due. If you have a voice in your mind’s ear, you need the right tool to reach that sound. Synth reeds are giving me what I need. So, I have to master the cane processes. Oh well. The best thing in life take effort.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts