Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was back home from college a week ago, and I played my friend's bari, and I was surprised at how much I liked his plasticover reeds. I've been meaning to buy some for my tenor to use in marching band, but I wanted to wait until I wore out my Java Greens.

Today in band practice, my band director gave all the saxophones Selmer Goldentone 3 mouthpieces that we're required to use for football games. The problem is I've been using a Rico Metalite M9, so my reeds are way too soft to use on the Selmer mpc.

I was using Java Green 2.5's on my M9, but I was overblowing on them so I switched back to my 3's recently, which are a bit too strong. Even those are too soft to use on the Selmer mpc, so I have to rush order new reeds since we have a football game this Saturday. I figured I might as well get plasticovers now, but I don't know what strength to get.

What plasticover strength on a Goldentone 3 tenor mpc should I get if I've been using a Java Green 2.5 - 3 on my M9?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,452 Posts
I have many years of experience with Plasticovers and the ones of the last few years have tended to run hard. I'm assuming you're asking about baritone sax reeds? On a Selmer #3 mouthpiece you might have to go at least #3 1/2 if not #4. But never having encountered such an order from a band director, can you possibly tell me *** he is thinking in making you go to the crummy Selmer #3 mouthpieces just because you're playing outdoors? It seems to me he would want to go the other way for more projection.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have many years of experience with Plasticovers and the ones of the last few years have tended to run hard. I'm assuming you're asking about baritone sax reeds? On a Selmer #3 mouthpiece you might have to go at least #3 1/2 if not #4. But never having encountered such an order from a band director, can you possibly tell me *** he is thinking in making you go to the crummy Selmer #3 mouthpieces just because you're playing outdoors? It seems to me he would want to go the other way for more projection.
Maybe he doesn't like saxophones and is trying to make it background noise?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My university doesn't march bari sadly, so I'm ordering tenor reeds. And I thought that was weird too. Making us use these mouthpieces just doesn't make sense, and he didn't tell us why. I'm considering paying to get mine refaced and have a baffle added. What my bd doesn't know won't hurt him. And thanks for the help

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
I would want to know why he wants you all playing those. It's an odd choice, and really not a great one for marching band, particularly on the college level!

·
7,452 Posts
I don't guess it matters between bari and tenor Plasticovers - you still would need a harder one for the more closed mouthpiece.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,253 Posts
Sure. I played plasticover 4s for many years on a bigger mp.
It will be fine. 3, 3.5, whatever. Just give some time to adjust.

dsm

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Do you have a music store nearby that sells single orange box Rico reeds? You should try a couple different strengths and find the right one. No one else can tell you which reed is right for you.

..........Or you could go online and order a couple of Rico reed 3-packs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you have a music store nearby that sells single orange box Rico reeds? You should try a couple different strengths and find the right one. No one else can tell you which reed is right for you.

..........Or you could go online and order a couple of Rico reed 3-packs.
There's a music store relatively close, but I don't have any way to get there. I'd take more time to experiment and figure out what works, but I don't have enough time to do that. I ended up just buying a box of 3's, so I'll hope for the best

·
7,452 Posts
Probably will work great on a Selmer 3 tenor mouthpiece. A small question, what does the director do if the Selmer mouthpiece is too large or too small for your neck cork? There is no 'standard' bore size among mouthpieces.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts