Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have a Yamaha yss 62 soprano sax early model, and I wanna replace the old set of pads, which has been used for 20 years. Does anyone know where I can get a set of L. Pisoni pads in the U.S. (or any recognized website)? and what size should I get for my 62?? (Confused╮(╯_╰)╭)

Anyone have any experience with it, or suggestions? Thank you very much.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,317 Posts
I used musicmedic precision with the dome resos, on a 61, and it came out simple amazing. They are kind of a "cant go wrong" kind of pad.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used musicmedic precision with the dome resos, on a 61, and it came out simple amazing. They are kind of a "cant go wrong" kind of pad.
Thank you, and what resos would you recommend? Plastic vs. Metal.?

·
Banned
2,196 Posts
Pisoni pads aren't great, and they are treated. I second the MusicMedic Precision pads. Resonators have never really made a huge difference to me as horns usually need everything before an overhaul, and thus it's hard to tell if its the sealing of new pads, or different resonators (not to mention impossible to A/B a horn under those circumstances).

That being said, people I respect highly have told me the opposite. Honestly, I think at some point you just have to quit thinking about this stuff and just make music.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Pisoni pads aren't great, and they are treated...."
Which particular Music Center pads did you not like, and why.
(They make many models of models of sax pads, and they can have the same print on the back. They make to any big buyer's specifications. Only some are on their web site.)

And what is wrong with them being treated to stop them from getting wrecked (by hardened felt) by regularly absorbing water and saliva - providing that does not make them sticky?

BTW the models I have bought in the past from Music Center have not had a sticky pad issue.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Pisoni pads aren't great, and they are treated...."
Which particular Music Center pads did you not like, and why.
(They make many models of models of sax pads, and they can have the same print on the back. They make to any big buyer's specifications. Only some are on their web site.)

And what is wrong with them being treated to stop them from getting wrecked (by hardened felt) by regularly absorbing water and saliva - providing that does not make them sticky?

BTW the models I have bought in the past from Music Center have not had a sticky pad issue.

(It is also possible that fake music Center pads have Music Center writing on the back, as has been suggested as a possibility in this thread:
http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?187608-Report-%96-A-Disappointing-Sax! )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts