Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 1934-35 silver Selmer Paris Bb clarinet and it needs to be repadded, overhauled, and all that. Any suggestions on which pads to use, especially given the sound characteristics that go along with a metal clarinet?
Personally, I'm mainly a sax player, and don't have the personal playing experience on many different types of pads. I've read that some like the leather pads, some like the skinned felt pads, some the cork and felt combo, and all have different sound qualities, as well as different feel under the fingers.
So based on the sound one would expect from a metal clarinet, what pads would compliment it nicely, soundwise and under the fingers?

Here's a link to some photos of the clarinet, after I took it apart:
https://picasaweb.google.com/101466...etalBbClarinet49xx?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Thanks!

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016
1,706 Posts
Go with leaner, they feel great on metal clarinets, they last a long time.........
You did a lovely job on my Pan American Dirk. That's a lovely looking horn Ryan, I wish I owned one to go with my Silver King, Pan American, Kohlert, Noblet, Pedler, Harry Pedler, Bettoney and Conn stencil. Then again, maybe I have enough now!

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
I'd be inclined to use high quality leather pads on metal clarinets as they are hard wearing - white leather pads will look good, so maybe repad it with RooPads. If they happen to get dirty during installation, then you can clean the dirt and grease off them with solvents to keep them white.

I've only repadded one metal clarinet (a Conn Cavalier) and used brown leather pads on that. If the toneholes are level, then you can use cork pads on the lowest lying keys where water collects, but I'd always use a cork pad in the speaker key so it can be domed to reduce hiss.

·
Registered
103 Posts
This is the only thread I've seen here for a metal clarinet so I'll post this here:

I recently picked up an old metal clarinet at a pawn shop, I know it will need new pads and corks, but my first task is to clean it up (very tarnished and dusty/grimy right now). What is the best/safest way to clean it? Should I take it apart before cleaning?

I've only tinkered with my R13 so any advice or tips are welcome!

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016
1,706 Posts
If you want to get it playing again, then I would suggest taking it to a tech. But whether it's WORTH getting into playing condition or not is the question you need to ask first.

If you haven't seen this web site already, you should have a good old read. http://www.silver-clarinet.com/

If it's one of the less regarded brands and you just want to have some fun, by all means pull it apart and fool around with it (watch those rusty springs!).

If it's a well regarded horn, take it to a tech.

·
Registered
103 Posts
thank you for the input. after some research I found out that it is made by Cundy-Bettoney, it has P.X.Laube on the case and bell. it must be a lower model as the only other markings are patent #1705634 and serial #P7185

I cleaned it with a damp cue tip around the posts, keys etc. had to wire down the two middle right-hand trill keys with twist ties, but it does play (low E - high G) :) yay.

do you think regular clarinet pads will be the right size? side by side they look veeeerryy close

1 - 10 of 10 Posts