Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
You need to be a little more specific if you want a good suggestion. What don't you like about your sound? What are you lookng for in a sound? How much do you want to spend?

·
Registered
511 Posts
I just tried a bunch of alto mouthpieces. On a lark I bought a Morgan 6EL Excalibur on Ebay. It's smooth, powerful, easy to play in all registers, versatile. Nothing else came close, I can't say enough good things about this mouthpiece.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Carl H. said:
:twisted:

I think fenix' comment is apropos. Have you been playing six months or six years? Do you play in a rock band, in church or in a community concert band? What is it about your present setup that you are looking to add/subtract to/from? The better the question, the better the answer, wot? :)

·
Registered
717 Posts
SpeakNoEvil said:
If I had to choose 4 jazz mouthpieces to try out for alto, what should they be? I currently use a HR meyer 5m and am just wondering if there's anything else out there for me.
Vandoren V16, JodyJazz HR or Classic.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,890 Posts
Depends on a lot of things. What are you trying to improve? What's your budget? How long have you been playing? What kind of horn do you have?

My general recommendations would be Meyer, Rousseau Studio Jazz, Vandoren V16, and Barone HR. But there are so many other factors here, it's hard to make a "general" recommendation...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm currently in my third year as a Instrumental Music Education major. I play second alto in Big Band and also do combo work. The first thing I want is a bigger sound, but not very harsh, as my beat up SX90 is a little harsh in the first place.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,890 Posts
OK...I would tell you to try the Rousseau Studio Jazz (SJ6 or SJ7), Vandoren V16 (which ever facing that you are comfortable with), Barone New York, and Morgan Vintage. These are all variations of the Meyer (except the Rousseau) with a bit bigger sound. I put the Rousseau on there because you need flexibility, and the Rousseau is the most flexible piece I know.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,435 Posts
With no price limits, I'd say a meyer 7M which is the old 5M; Maybe a florida STM link, for a darker sound; Maybe a berg larsen in a lower baffle - just as hard to find as a good alto link; possibly a Barone I think it is called a meyer killer or something to that effect.

There is a thread about pieces on Keilwerth saxes around here somewhere too. A different reed might be a cheaper way to mellow out your sound. I think ZZ's are supposed to be on the bright side.

·
27,650 Posts
Carl H. said:
With no price limits, I'd say a meyer 7M which is the old 5M.
Actually, when I saw what you are now playing, Carl's suggestion sprang into my mind, as well. That's a really flexible mpc, and being a bit larger might also give you the bigger sound you're looking for. And you're already familiar with a Meyer.

There are so many inconsistencies in reeds, it's hard to generalise, but I used ZZ's for a while and got away from them. The sound was just a little too, hmm, warm? buzzy? Not sure what to say but I played a Meyer 6M for a couple of years on alto and if I was playing one today in big band, I think I'd check out Rico Royals or Jazz Selects.

·
Registered
166 Posts
here's a few.
-Morgan Excalibur. outstanding flexibility, and it will give you the bigger sound you want without the harshness. it can scream when pushed, but isnt edgy or annoying and is a very comfortable piece to use.
-Runyon Custom.
-VanDoren V16 I've heard good things about. I havent played one, but there are a few in the mail on the way here for me right now.
-Also heard good things about LeBayle. you would probably want the jazz one for what you're doing. it will be hard to find one to try out though.

the vandoren, morgan, and runyon are all available on www.wwbw.com so you can try them out. maybe you'd also want to try a more open meyer, perhaps with a smaller chamber?

·
27,650 Posts
lotus_esprit5 said:
-VanDoren V16 I havent played one, but..
-Also heard good things about LeBayle.
Tread softly lotus. The last time I read someone recommending equipment they had no hands-on knowledge of they got hammered. :shock:

·
Registered
114 Posts
I play on a Vandoren V16 A5S and i must say that this piece plays great. I have the small chamber and it has a very nice pop to the sound that I want for big Band.If your looking for a nice non-stuffy sound try out this mouthpiece.

Hope this helps

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,017 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,469 Posts
I'm currently in my third year as a Instrumental Music Education major. I play second alto in Big Band and also do combo work. The first thing I want is a bigger sound, but not very harsh, as my beat up SX90 is a little harsh in the first place.
~~~ Dang it! I didn't realize that this thread was 14 years old. Disregard everything I'm about to say. ~~~

So you've been playing saxophone for about 10-ish years and are looking to play/teach full time professionally.

I think you should at least look at the Lawton ebonite mouthpieces. I play an ebonite Lawton 7*B on my SX-90R alto and love it. Before that I played a Meyer 6M on the same horn. I love the Lawton, and they seem to go very well with Keilwerth horns.

The problem is that Geoff Lawton passed away back in 2004-2005? And his son Jason is building the same mouthpieces now. As far as I'm aware, they are only available through Sax.co.uk now. Wait time can be a month or two. Took my ebonite soprano mouthpiece about 6 weeks to show up. They are often available used on eBay and Reverb though, in varying condition.

The only thing I would caution about the Lawton is that it might be too much power for a second chair player. It would work fine in a solo or combo and rock/R&B setting. But you might end up overpowering the lead player in a traditional big band. Or you might just end up in the lead chair anyway. :cool:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Haha, I don't think the intrepid existed when this post was made :)
that matters not because we're reading it today and anybody who reads this (in a contemporary sense) today will know that the Intrepid is a more than worthy contender.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Second and same post deleted.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts