Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey mouthpiece gurus. Wondering if any of you can name this piece, I know Rich is famous for using soloists but this one is clearly not one, although he still gets that killer Joe tone happening.

Maybe a Meyer?

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Looks like an old Selmer short-shank Soloist to me. He sure took in a ton of mouthpiece too! There's another vid. of him with Mel's band from this same concert somewhere on YT where he solos on (I think) One Finger Snap. *EDIT*......it's "Wiggle Waggle" and not on Youtube...sorry!

Anyhoo, that's how I sees it!

John

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,542 Posts
Look during the solo at the reflections off the shank. There is no scroll. Its not a soloist.

My first call was a Link but looking closer and looking at the piece and the lig I started to think Brilhart.

It seems pretty focused and a bit tight for a HR Link. Im putting my bets on straight sidewalls.

·
1,264 Posts
I also vote for straight sidewalls.

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
Hey mouthpiece gurus. Wondering if any of you can name this piece, I know Rich is famous for using soloists but this one is clearly not one, although he still gets that killer Joe tone happening.

Maybe a Meyer?
He plays two different Selmer's, one that I refaced and did chamber work to in and another Ralph Morgan refaced. They're both seven stars. Phil Barone

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
He plays two different Selmer's, one that I refaced and did chamber work to in and another Ralph Morgan refaced. They're both seven stars. Phil Barone
Correction, the video is before he started playing the pieces that Ralph and I worked on. He doesn't use the piece in the clip panymore, he uses newer Selmer's. Phil Baone

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Correction, the video is before he started playing the pieces that Ralph and I worked on. He doesn't use the piece in the clip panymore, he uses newer Selmer's. Phil Baone
Right - o thanks Phil. Any idea what the piece in the clip is? Maybe a Morgan?

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
After looking again (later in the clip), I was wrong in my earlier post. It does NOT have the scroll shank, so most likely not a Selmer. I'd say Link, but the overall length of the mouthpiece looks too short. Maybe go to the source and ask Rich himself?!

John

·
3,875 Posts
If you're up to it, you can always e-mail Rich and ask him.

[email protected]

Note: He's published his e-mail several places on the internet (Myspace) so I don't think it's out of line to post it here.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hey, since you mouthpiece geniuses have solved that puzzle,what is the happening Mr Perry playing here
[/I]
It's a friggin great solo,dig the 6 over 4,and it's neither a Link or a Selmer he's playing.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Rich is killing it here. He kills it everywhere!! Pretty sure that piece is a Soloist, he had the shank replaced. I'll ask him at my next lesson...

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey, since you mouthpiece geniuses have solved that puzzle,what is the happening Mr Perry playing here
[/I]
It's a friggin great solo,dig the 6 over 4,and it's neither a Link or a Selmer he's playing.
Yeah yeah yeah yeah whoa yeah yeah. So happening.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,194 Posts
[/I]
It could be the same link with a metal band added around the shank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts