Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I've been playing sax for 3 years now and recently got me a great deal on an armstrong tenor sax. Right now use a yamaha 5C mouthpeice but there is never suction with the reeds i use (fibracell 3-3.5) so unlike with my alto i get the unsuctioned reed squeek randomly. I was wondering is anyone has any suggestions for a new mouthpeice where price is open. I mainly play jazz. If it mean anything i use an otto-link rubber mouthpeice on my alto and it works fine. Should i get the same #5 if i use the same brand and strength reeds?

Thanks alot

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,773 Posts
An Otto Link is a good place to start on tenor. Check them out in different sizes, both HR and metal, from probably about a 5* to a 7*, with as many sizes in between as you can.

·
4,147 Posts
I would second the Link on tenor.

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,406 Posts
Vandoren hard rubber V16 T7

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
So now there are players that buy mouthpieces to fit reeds, rather than the other way around?:?

·
Registered
554 Posts
I use #2.5 Fibracells on a Tenney Link STM 8*. If I were to use a 3, I'd probably drop to 7 or 7*. I concur with the Link recommendation.

·
2,773 Posts
hakukani said:
So now there are players that buy mouthpieces to fit reeds, rather than the other way around?:?
Well, sometimes that makes sense. Softer reeds will be buzzier than harder reeds, generally. I know on clarinet, I know that I like vandoren V12 #4 reeds. I've tried mouthpieces that are more open with #3.5 reeds, but while the net resistance is about the same, the tone is brighter and buzzier, less pure and ringing. Likewise, I've tried harder reeds on more closed mouthpieces and found them to be too dark, without enough clarity, even though the net resistance was similar. Resistance from a hard reed is a different kind of resistance than from an open tip.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
I normally use a Fibercell #3 on my STM 9, and they seem to work fine on the other low-baffled, open mouthpieces in my collection.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist / Forum Contributor 2
4,202 Posts
Link is a good place to start. Probably hard rubber but if you want a different vibe and smaller mouth feel then try a Super Tone Master New York. Personally I find them to be a little fatter than the stock Super Tone Master.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts