Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious as to what motivates you to practice more of your sax? What motivates me is newer and harder music, and getting to the stage of perfecting it. If I don't have any new music to play and I have been playing the same pieces for hours it usually makes me stop, but if I just get a new piece of music, for example the Charlie Parker Omnibook I picked up today... :) It makes me want to play every song till i have each note down cold, and I have nice tone on it too. I also like to improvise now that I'm getting better at it, so I practice that a lot, and knowing that eventually I'll be good at it is also something that motivates me to practice more.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 200
1,445 Posts
Listening to a recording of myself is always a sure way.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,533 Posts
it is results. I mean the fact that you achieve newer and higher capabilities, improving your technique and ease with which you play. On top of this, there are the sessions. When you play together with other people and keep on feeling better about what you are doing , it makes you want to go further. Mind you, my practice (about two hours a day) is largely playing and exploring my horn in all directions so isn't not all that difficult, but , nevertheless, challenging.

Girls are a nice motivation too.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Hé, I'm kidding! Otherwise I would play some Kenny G's stuffs !

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
685 Posts
I just got a bari. I am addicted to the sound I am getting...that's why I practice these days.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,092 Posts
I want to be able to play the music I hear in me. I can't do that all the time yet, so I have to practice more.

Also, there's the very real fact that my competition for work consists of every single world-class player withing 100-200 square miles and then some... and then there are national gigs that I want to be able to get someday. There are a lot of fantastic players out there, and I have to shed if I even want to be a viable option to play a gig instead of guys like Don Braden, Eric Alexander, James Carter, Chris Potter, Paquito D'Rivera, Kenny Garrett, Lou Donaldson, or any one of thousands of lesser-known cats who live within 30 miles and play at a similarly high level. Thank God the people who hire me can't afford those guys!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Having fun.

Practicing should be fun. If I get bored with what I'm doing (i. e. after some weeks or months), I switch to something different. And I don't practice some things at all because they are boring to me - after all, there is so much to practice that you always will miss something out - so why not just practice what you find interesting=

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2011
774 Posts
DanPerezSax said:
I want to be able to play the music I hear in me. I can't do that all the time yet, so I have to practice more.
I can't do it at all yet :( .... apart from the occasional phrase..... so there's a long way to go..... pray that I live that long :D

·
Registered
957 Posts
Toot Sweet! said:
Having fun.

Practicing should be fun. If I get bored with what I'm doing (i. e. after some weeks or months), I switch to something different. And I don't practice some things at all because they are boring to me - after all, there is so much to practice that you always will miss something out - so why not just practice what you find interesting=
That's true! Many of us tend to think it's necessary to be able to play some Parker, some Brecker, some Bach, some Berio, some Glazounov, some Kenny G., and most of the time none of this repertories is mastered, and the motivation go down, and the sax work looks like a big moutain and we even can't see its top! We just don't know concentrate on our favorite style, to master and perfect it, because we thing it will never bring enough money ... I recently saw a documentary on Ali FArka Touré, this malian singer who played (RIP Ali) his own music, quiet simply technically and harmonically, all his life, almost always the same, always with the same pleasure! This guy wan a Grammy Award! It made me think ...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
saxymanzach said:
Right now, jam sessions with better players.
...and that pretty girl in the audience!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Playing with players as good (I need to stay as good) or better (if I want to take their chair when they are done) than me. I'm currently playing in a community band that is as good or maybe better than my music major-filled symphonic band of 30 years ago. Present and retired music teachers, former US Army and Navy band members, and a bunch (like me) who keep on working on being as good as we can be with limited practice time. That group alone is motivating enough.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I practice to let out all of the stuff swirling around in my brain as fluently as possible. Also because I think I am kind of addicted to it, I get really antsy if I don't have time to practice (Even for an hour on the days I work) or even if I have work then gig.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rahspeak said:
I just got a bari. I am addicted to the sound I am getting...that's why I practice these days.
Yip! Nothing like an amazing tone to keep one practising...especially if that tone is coming from you :D

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Girls, keeping it fun, and that new piece of equpiment that you are dying to try out ;).
Personal Goals. Top band in college my Freshman year that kind of thing. Ohh, and my teacher gives me a hard time if I don't do my work.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts