Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Ok I finally got enough dough for a Morgan, the only problem being that I'm in the UK and finding it near impossible to try one out here, which is a little annoying as I am not sure if I should order up the Excalibur
or the Jazz model. I'm currently playing a Lawton 6*B but I don't know whether to go for slightly larger tip or stay put on the size. Whats going to get me a good fatt sound. (other than 4 years of long tones)

Thanks

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I have 5L and 5EL. Both are very powerful, with the Excalibur being brighter and the Jazz being mellow. I usually play the Jazz and can get an awful lot of volume from it. If others get more from larger tip openings, fair enough, but I get all I want from this.

To buy, try Howarths (if you have yet to do so), also Myatts. Otherwise go to www.jukdude.com who is the main distributor for Morgan or WWW.wwbw.com - the advantage of the latter is that the queue may be shorter and so the wait may not be so great. (Ignore all the WWBW bashing on SOTW; that's history and does not accord with my experience....

... or eBay: register to be told of any Morgans that come up (usually two or three a week of one sort or another); a much cheaper solution if you are brave enough.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your answers guys, Would you believe that Myatt's said that they waited a whole year to get a Morgan in!--Gelliot2 I'm quite tempted on your 9E but I just think it's too open for me. Thanks any-way.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Dust, No! They told me they had not had a delivery for tow years, but that may have been for bari. In the end, I bought a blank and sent it to the guys who actually make the Morgan baris (or used to when they could still buy blanks in bulk).

Personally, I would stay away from Ms or Es and stick to L or EL; I say this now you have knocked the idea of Gary's 9E on the head - I wouldn't have interfered before. It should not be long before something comes up on eBay.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Hello Dust
have you tryed a Pillinger on your Big B yet? they are as good and hardly make a different sound- i just tested one of a friend against my vintage Link and they' re hardly different...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
2,666 Posts
Dust,

To try to help with your original question....especially, in wanting a fat sound. A fat sound comes in large part from having a big round chamber with scooped sidewalls. Even though the L and EL have a similar inner design, it's been my experience that a L will give you a darker, fatter, bigger, and richer sound than the Excalibur. The next thing is to determine the right tip opening and that needs to be up to you.

Another possibility is to think about a Morgan 6C. This is a custom mouthpiece that needs to be special ordered through Junk Dude. If you do a search on the Forum you can find the threads where I and others have talked about the 6C.

The 6C has a larger chamber than the L model. Thus, it's sound is noticably fatter than what one can get with an L. And, the 6C has plenty of power and projection. A 6 facing is the largest one that Ralph will make for the C model. I've found the 6C to be an extraordinary mouthpiece -- especially on a vintage Buescher. Without question it's my favorite Morgan saxophone mouthpiece.

I've been after Ralph Morgan to make the 6C a part of his production line of mouthpieces. It appears to me that anyone on the Forum who has tried a 6C really likes it. I cannot recall seeing any negative messages about it.

Roger

1 - 8 of 8 Posts