Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not so much a refacer but I do like to know how things work. I have dabbled in refacing with a few pieces and I wonder as to what parts of a mouthpiece might be changed and how to increase the projection significantly?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
its well known to take dental compound and build up your baffle ...... many students of ernie watts do this i once bought a used piece that was a little bit of effort to clean up!!!

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
More baffle and a a wider tip opening are the main things. A smaller throat can also be considered. But with changes there are usually trade-offs in sound, intonation and control. Experimenting with temporary putty, like poster-hanging putty or dental wax, is a great way to do some non-destructive testing.

If the facing has issues, just fixing that will make the mouthpiece more responsive and seem like it has more projection.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
developed,and controlled embouchure and airstream.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,927 Posts
developed,and controlled embouchure and airstream.
Hah! That's what I was going to suggest.

Put the work into the player first and improve all your mouthpieces at once!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
726 Posts
More baffle and a a wider tip opening are the main things. A smaller throat can also be considered. But with changes there are usually trade-offs in sound, intonation and control. Experimenting with temporary putty, like poster-hanging putty or dental wax, is a great way to do some non-destructive testing.

If the facing has issues, just fixing that will make the mouthpiece more responsive and seem like it has more projection.
Thanks, Mojo. I noticed, a wider tip opening allows me to play lows very easy, but in the other hand, (and here come my question): can a wider tip opening be the cause of being more dificult to play highs, at least on sopranos?.- Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My airstream and embouchure tend to be quite sufficient and developed first and foremost, though I do understand what you are getting at with such comments. Indeed I make them quite frequently. I merely was trying to make some educated decisions on styles of mouthpieces to look at and how to talk with a refacer to properly get what I would like to have done done. Incidently I only have one mouthpiece at the moment. It's a link with a .115 tip.

I am starting to look at some particular mouthpieces and since they are fairly expensive for anything decent, I need to make a proper choice on which way to go to try some first. That or figure out what base piece I would need someone to modify and how they would modify it. As I am picky about this (and I admit it freely), I would prefer to know what I am asking for rather than misrepresent what I am looking for. I have read the Theo Wanne stuff and tried a lot of different mouthpieces before. Just trying to nail down what I liked about each and not spend the $$$$$ that so many do. Unfortunately I keep coming back to some pretty pricey pieces first and foremost (Lawtons/Freddie Gregories). They are afterall just tools but nice tools cost nice tools money.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Thanks, Mojo. I noticed, a wider tip opening allows me to play lows very easy, but in the other hand, (and here come my question): can a wider tip opening be the cause of being more dificult to play highs, at least on sopranos?.- Thanks in advance.
Maybe, if it causes you to use a soft reed. Otherwise wide tips are OK on soprano if you can control the intonation. For me, I prefer to stay below .065" on sop sax.

·
Registered
762 Posts
My airstream and embouchure tend to be quite sufficient and developed first and foremost, though I do understand what you are getting at with such comments. Indeed I make them quite frequently. I merely was trying to make some educated decisions on styles of mouthpieces to look at and how to talk with a refacer to properly get what I would like to have done done. Incidently I only have one mouthpiece at the moment. It's a link with a .115 tip.

I am starting to look at some particular mouthpieces and since they are fairly expensive for anything decent, I need to make a proper choice on which way to go to try some first. That or figure out what base piece I would need someone to modify and how they would modify it. As I am picky about this (and I admit it freely), I would prefer to know what I am asking for rather than misrepresent what I am looking for. I have read the Theo Wanne stuff and tried a lot of different mouthpieces before. Just trying to nail down what I liked about each and not spend the $$$$$ that so many do. Unfortunately I keep coming back to some pretty pricey pieces first and foremost (Lawtons/Freddie Gregories). They are afterall just tools but nice tools cost nice tools money.
If you want great projection, and easier blowing. I would really put a jumbo java on my list to try. You can grab them used for around $50-$60 shipped (alto or tenor) and there is a good chance you won't feel the need to spend more.

This is a fantastic alto or tenor piece if the sound is what you are looking for. Try out as many tips as you can though, as it makes a huge difference when you find that right fit. Not to mention each model has a different facing(long/short) and it does make a difference.

If you want to supercharge a mouthpiece with projection/volume, try a 2.5 rico plasticover out. Might take a few days to get used to them though

Just my opinions. Everyone is different.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts