Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently renting a Buescher tenor sax.
I know that it is vintage, as the pads on the bells are on both sides.
It also uses the wire cage key guards.
Also, the serial number is 162,xxx.
The lacquer has been relacquered terribly so the engraving is not even
readable. (What a waste.)
That is just as much as i know.
Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
The serial no suggests it is an early 1920's Truetone series 2
It should have black rollers and a pearl on the G# pinky key if it is.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
With the bell keys being on both sides you got a early 30's or older horn. Good horns though. You may have a The Buescher which is a begginer horn, from what I am told. If you can find True Tone anywear on the horn, then it may be professional. I have to agree Shame it was badly relacqed. Very good Classical horns though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
The nice thing about relacquers that are bad is that you can keep and enjoy them without fear of having great sums of money thrown at you. If the horn is a player (and priced right) it really is a keeper.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,993 Posts
Carbs... you really shouldn't chime in on horns you're not experienced with. Not just in this thread either. It's easy to become an expert here in no time with the wealth of information preserved, but leave the giving of advice to the more experienced posters; dependant upon the subject matter. Just a helpful hint so as not to confuse the folks that come here for specific information concerning specific issues.

As to the original question, these models didn't originally come in lacquer. Though it may have originally been bare brass, it's probably more likely that it had its original plating buffed off at some point.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts