T.K. Melody

Please tell me which ones I should look into more
Budget<$3,200

Also what's more preferable

Brand New: YTS-62II
YTS-82Z
YTS-875EX

Used: Selmer Model III

Barely any lacquer, keys functional few dents (overall pretty poor condition): Selmer Mark VI

Thanks in advance for your advice

Ivan

·
Registered
516 Posts
You have different models listed in the poll than in your post so I am a little confused... I know the yamahas, selmer, and mauriat are solid horns. I don't know anything about Lien yang and T.K. Melody. It's all down to which one you enjoy playing the most. I can only tell you which I would go for, but that's not important.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,253 Posts
I cannot vote, but I'd look primarily at Selmer and Yamaha.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,309 Posts
Why limit yourself on such a set budget? Work some more, save some more find a horn YOU like by playing several and buy it.

·
Registered
848 Posts
The one you like the best. No one can tell you what horn is right for you. You have to try them and see which one YOU like. Quite honestly even 4 horns of the same make and model will all play differently. Finding "the one" is most of the fun.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
Do you want the saxophone that is best for you, or the saxophone that is best for other people? All the horns you mentioned are good in different ways, and it's a bit subjective as to which is the one.

One thing I wondered, have you played all the horns you listed. I presume you must have to be able to make that short list. And if you've played them, then you know which one is best.

·
2,620 Posts
The one you like the best. No one can tell you what horn is right for you. You have to try them and see which one YOU like.
+100 to that, and to what Pete said. It matters what is best for you, not what anyone else likes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pete: To tell you the truth I have only begun this process but I have played the 62II and the 82z. As for the other ones, I have heard they were really great horns so I decided to take the top three choices and ask the local music store to ship them so I can play test them. The reason my list is so limited is because I have had been around most of them and from friends and teacher I have selected the ones they seem to like the best. If I don't like the other models that I have listed, Ill just try and come up with something else and see how that sounds. As I said, I have until September to decide so right now I am just at the point of collecting ideas and trying out some horns.

Thanks
Ivan

·
Registered
848 Posts
This may help you. I have played a number of high end horns. Quite a few of my gigging horns are high end - but my Tenor that I gig with is actually a Vito Yamaha stencil that I picked up for a couple of hundred bucks. I will put it up next to any high end horn. It plays incredibly. My tech (a well known tech) has commented numerous times about what a great horn it is.

My point is you cant just buy the one that you everyone else likes. Try a boatload of them out. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Good luck on your hunt!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Randy: This horn is going to be for my birthday and my parents said anything above 3k will better be something extraordinary. As of right now, I am already lifting the bar higher than is recommended. I asked my parents if I save up ~500 that they can get me a new 82(thats the model I am currently into.)

ivan

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is somewhat humorous as I play tested a mark VI, a p. mauriat, the z and the 62 and out of those, I selected the mauriat. Today, I went up to my teacher asking him his opinion on the make. He's played professional sax for quite a while now so as of now that's the one person that I would trust out of all those I know. He said that the company make some alright horns but also said that they were cheaply made, break easily and go out of tune. This wasn't what I quite expected as the instrument, over an hour, sounded really good with a full sound, which was dark, full and overall very solid. Then I tried out some of the other saxes. Out of the other ones mentioned previously, the only sax that was closely related was the z. To say that the z sounded good would be a huge understatement- it sounded really well supported and everything. I just picked the P. mauriat due to its back on the sound, the solidity of the sound and, most importantly, its easiness to push air through. However, I do not want to just throw 2 grand(it was pre-owned but in better-than-mint condition) due to it breaking or just not being pleased with the quality of the sound as time goes on.

I would appreciate if someone may give a push in the right direction. There's a chance I might get the horn really early. Maybe as early as the end of this month.

Thanks so much
Ivan

·
2,620 Posts
Hmm. Can't help you there. I don't know enough about Mauriats. My (very knowledgeable) tech likes Yamahas, so that might be a safer bet.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,571 Posts
Don't waste money and time. Get a good sax (like a used Yamaha 62 or Serie II/III) and spend your time practicing and playing with others. After a few years, you will be able to pick out the best horn for yourself. It is too early to know. Many of us have bought and sold multiple saxophones over the years trying to find the one.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
my band teacher (the pro:) )also agrees that yamahas are the best.

soybean: would you recommend me getting an 82Z??

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
4,370 Posts
Yamaha 875EX or used Series III would be my picks, but I'm not you:bluewink:.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,342 Posts
Out of curiosity how does any horn (Mauriat or otherwise) "Go out of tune"

Surely it either has good intonation to start with, and keeps it forever, or it never did?

Anyway, play what you can, pick what you like. Logically though a used anything will be better value than a new anything. If a used selmer is OK why not a used Yamaha and save your parents some pain?

As soybean says, practice is what counts, a good horn in a bad players hands sounds bad, a bad horn in a good players hands sounds good.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Again I have not had too much experience in pro level horns so to answer your question Canadiain I do not know the answer to the first question. As of now, I have not had the opportunity to play a selmer III or the EX. I would prefer not to buy a used intrument unless it sounds really good and am VERY skeptical about them especially after my encounter with a terribly sounding used mark vi. I have played the z and found it really great in sound and intonation and am probably gonna try another one some time this week.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.