Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the video...it's the Jazz at Lincoln Center band doing a family concert about Count Basie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REmA1kAy4WY

at about 2:35 in the video, a young man stands up and plays a great tenor solo. That is an OLD saxophone, he's playing. Can anybody tell what it is?

Conn Chu Berry? Buescher True Tone? I think it's a Conn from the neck support... The guy sounds great.

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,306 Posts
The neck looks like a Conn. It has split bell keys, so it precedes the 10M, but could be a transitional version. I could not see the G# to see if it had the nail file pattern. I would guess a Chu, but others may pick up on things I missed.

A really great sound!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,810 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Conn Transitional. It has the raised high E key - on Chus it's flat (level with the RH side C and Bb keys).
I believe Walter plays on a Chu - the high E is raised because of risers, you can see them clearly on the pic below. He uses risers on the palm keys and RH side keys and I've seen him with material built up on the bis key as well. He favors the sound of the Conn but has adjustments to help with the ergos.

View attachment 214354

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Walter is an excellent player. It's also nice to see a young man appreciating the qualities of a saxophone from his grandfathers era.

EDIT: Actually I just found Walter doing a video teaching up and coming students about why to practice scales and looks like he's not the 20-something he appears to be on the Jazz at Lincoln Center video! LOL.. That tenor could still be his grandfathers, though!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,680 Posts
Walter's in his late 40's so relatively 'young' still, but he has been around for awhile, actually .

I first heard him on an album called 'Tough Young Tenors' that came out in 1991 .. in fact I still have it.

Walter, Tim Warfield, James Carter, Herb Harris and Todd Williams(who used to be in some of Wynton's groups) .

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Walter's in his late 40's so relatively 'young' still, but he has been around for awhile, actually .

I first heard him on an album called 'Tough Young Tenors' that came out in 1991 .. in fact I still have it.

Walter, Tim Warfield, James Carter, Herb Harris and Todd Williams(who used to be in some of Wynton's groups) .
I have that album too. Great stuff. Damn....'91? Sheesch, time flies!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I believe Walter plays on a Chu - the high E is raised because of risers, you can see them clearly on the pic below. He uses risers on the palm keys and RH side keys and I've seen him with material built up on the bis key as well. He favors the sound of the Conn but has adjustments to help with the ergos.

View attachment 214354
Never mind the risers. The high E key curves up at the upper end even without the riser.

Here's a picture of a Transitional's RH palm keys:

View attachment 214416

Here's a picture of a New Wonder II (Chu Berry) RH palm keys:

View attachment 214418

The high E on Mr. Blanding's horn is the same as the former, and different from the latter.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Never mind the risers. The high E key curves up at the upper end even without the riser.

Here's a picture of a Transitional's RH palm keys:

View attachment 214416

Here's a picture of a New Wonder II (Chu Berry) RH palm keys:

View attachment 214418

The high E on Mr. Blanding's horn is the same as the former, and different from the latter.

Yep, I think you are right that it is a "transitional" model. In looking at other videos and photos of
Walter in action, I do not see any indication that his bis key has been modified either. It's location and shape look completely stock to me.

·
Registered
8,025 Posts
Maybe Wynton could give him a loan to get something newer.
Conns take some getting used to but then my first tenor was a King Zephyr so a Conn was easy after that.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Yep, I think you are right that it is a "transitional" model. In looking at other videos and photos of
Walter in action, I do not see any indication that his bis key has been modified either. It's location and shape look completely stock to me.
You're right, the shape is the same as the Transitional, thanks for the pic comparison saxophender!

Pontius - I couldn't find the pic online but there's one of him hanging in the hallway at Jazz at Lincoln Center and it stood out to me because of that. Next time I'm there I'll take a pic of it to be sure, hopefully I'm remembering correctly.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Walter Blanding playing in style on a Conn like Pres did with Basie in the '30's. However Lester's was a New Wonder I back then.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Why so amazed ? The old Conns were great horns and despite the scuttlebutt to the contrary they are NOT hard to get around. (A 10M to me plays easier than a Selmer Mk VI; a Conn NWII Tranny is only marginally more difficult.) Check out Tivon Pennicott and the great Troy Roberts, for example:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts