Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I play classical tenor sax, and considering I'm probably the only one attending the All-National Concert Band with a falling-apart-school-instrument, I'm ready to buy my own saxophone. I'm researching and I find different answers for everything. My budget is $2,250 and I'm looking at vintage/used because I don't want a bright/jazzy tone. I'm looking for a model with an older, richer tone equatable to a cello. I rarely play jazz. (Don't make fun of me:mrgreen: ) I've played an intermediate Yahama for my entire life, but I've heard better things about Selmers, but I don't really know. Any thoughts on models or anything? Just a place to look? I don't care about fancy engravements or pretty buttons. Again, I live off of broken hunks of metal, not posh $48595 saxophones forged from the ancient metals of Mount Doom.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
I'm selling my 1977 H. Couf Superba II! It's a dark, sultry tenor. I'm more of an Alto player, so I bought a Yanagisawa T900 to replace it. For $2100 it's yours! Totally gig ready! Fast comfortable action, made in Germany by Keilwerth :) There are people here that can vouch for me on reliability if you need it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Buffet Crampon SDA from around 1970 or earlier, solid intonation, dark sound, French sound, good ergos, affordable. Have fun finding your horn, that is what matters.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Tenor Madness has two Buffets for sale right now. Above your price range, but they've been on their website for quite a while so they might negotiate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much for the tips!! I looked into the Buffets on the tenor madness website. Which of the two sounds the most promising? I read that the Super Dynaction is brighter in tone but better overall than the richer/darker Dynaction. They're the same price.. Any experience with them?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I own a 1969 SDA. It is not a bright horn. It has spot on intonation. I have never played the DA. I can affect the richness and darkness of the SDA sound/tone with mouthpiece and reed selection. SDAs can be had in good order for your budget, ready to play. They are sturdy and stay in regulation. Link STM produces a round and dark tone, S80 C* mp and an RPC mp ramp the edge and volume up of the sound, respectively. You need to play some of the horns that are/will be recommended. Use the same mouth piece(s) thru your sampling and make sure it is one you like.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Thanks so much for the tips!! I looked into the Buffets on the tenor madness website. Which of the two sounds the most promising? I read that the Super Dynaction is brighter in tone but better overall than the richer/darker Dynaction. They're the same price.. Any experience with them?
If you can't play them, I'd go with the one that's in better condition or had the more recent or more thorough overhaul, but that's me. You can call Drew or Randy and talk to them about it to see what they think. Also, Tenor Madness (like most specialty stores) has horns that they own and horns that they are selling for others (consignments). If the horn you are looking at is a consignment (at Tenor Madness, these are identified by a green tag), be sure to ask what work they think it needs and how much it would cost to have them do it.

Here's another one: http://www.saxquest.com/product/vie...r-dynaction-tenor-saxophone-serial-8274-P8565

Here's the Matt Stohrer YouTube video on the SDA:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
Odd thing about the Buffet (I've played a couple) is the LH pinky cluster. Though of modern layout, it is definately a vintage feel! For me, this kinda messes with head! It is a nice Tenor though. Really a toss up in tone between the SDA and my Superba II. My Couf does beat it in ergonomics and range though! Some don't like high F# though, so if you want a Tenor without that key, then the SDA fits the bill. If you do want that key, buy my Couf :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts