Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a good multipurpose microphone, that is great for recording vocals, and commentary,
as wells as saxophone recording (tenor sax) I am currently looking at shure sm58 and sm57
because I wanted a dynamic microphone because it doesn't pickup background sound very well.

My price range is ~$100 for just the microphone: Preamps, cables, popfilters, stands are no problem because I already have those.

I want a crisp clear sound, with a little bit of warmness to it (for commentary)

So which one should I get? Or would you recommend another?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
An oops post. OOPS!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Yep - 100 buck budget, get a 58. With a bit more in your budget you could get a used EV RE20, or Sennheiser MD 421 or Shure SM-7B. All are great for the applications that you mention. I'm sure that there are mics in your budget other than a 58, but I like that mic. I recently did some recording on soprano for a school musical on a 58 and it sounded pretty good. Aubra Graves' son records him with an SM-57 shoved into the bell of his tenor and it sounds great. (If you're not familiar with him, go here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8JA1my81_g ). I would suggest, as turnaround suggested, get the 58 if you're going to do voice work, as well.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am currently using a Blue Snowball, and I don't ever plan on spending over $250 on a microphone for a LONG time.
Anything really below $200 works fine.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you don't plan on using it live, the chinese ribbons (got mine at thomann, but they're everywhere) sounds surprisingly good, very transparent, yet somehow smoothes out the high end.
It's figure 8, though, so trickier than the shure, but IMO a much better sound for the price (less than 100$).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,200 Posts
Check out the microphone tests at Neffmusic.com.

·
Banned
211 Posts
I want a good multipurpose microphone, that is great for recording vocals, and commentary,
as wells as saxophone recording (tenor sax) I am currently looking at shure sm58 and sm57
because I wanted a dynamic microphone because it doesn't pickup background sound very well.

My price range is ~$100 for just the microphone: Preamps, cables, popfilters, stands are no problem because I already have those.

I want a crisp clear sound, with a little bit of warmness to it (for commentary)

So which one should I get? Or would you recommend another?

Sennheiser e835 - the best sounding $100 mic out there.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,099 Posts
I've bought, sold, and traded at least 50 mics over the years - 4 of them were SM58's. I got my first 58 probably 30 years ago, and the others accumulated over time. I've never sold one. They're not perfect, but they work on all kinds of stuff well. They are also as effective in a studio as they are on-stage. Mostly I use them in combination with a condenser in the studio, but I use one live sometimes on sax and / or vocals...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,200 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
dynamic mics, i have had much better luck with Electrovoice mics than shure. especially for a crisp clean sound without EQ. i bet the re10 would sound great since the re20 is so pricey.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
dynamic mics, i have had much better luck with Electrovoice mics than shure. especially for a crisp clean sound without EQ. i bet the re10 would sound great since the re20 is so pricey.
+1 For Electrovoice mics. I use a n/d468 for gigs for sax only. Can turn out bright sometimes so you need a good EQ.
If vocals are needed next to sax I usually pick a n/d 767a. Great mic for picking up a lot of nuances. The fun with the 767a is
that even at small gigs where you are sometimes constricted to limited quality pa's or even need to plug in some kind
of guitar amp you can still get a decent and acceptable sound.

+2 for the Shure 58. Even for sax I prefer it over the 57.

I had a RE10 for some time. Nice for recording. Very warm sound. However I found it to have too little dynamics for my liking. Even a bit dull sometimes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I want multipurpose microphone,that is great for recordings,commentary etc.Can you tell me which is the best and is it on budget?? Please recommend me this I am waiting for your reply.
Thanks for sharing..

·
Registered
75 Posts
I bought two when I needed mics - shure 57 and rhode nt-1a. I liked my results with shure enough to sell the rhode...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts