Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems that there are frequent expressions of disbelief regarding the price of this or that mouthpiece or saxophone or ligature or...whatever. I thought it might be more useful and helpful to try to understand what makes a "collectible"...collectible! Understanding the principles might even save someone the pain and suffering of learning that an item which they sold for a mere pittance could have paid for their next !GAS attack! I have a good deal of experience with the phenomenon by way of the restoration of several hundred pieces of collectible and antique furniture and I'm sure that most of the same principles apply, but perhaps others would care to opine on the subject.

And who are these collectors anyway? Are they hedge fund directors, scallywags and scoundrels, well heeled professional saxophonists. What is going on??
:cool:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,149 Posts
I find that to be a collectors item it is either something old, rare or just popular. Anything that isn't made anymore can become wanted. I find a lot of things priced higher than I would imagine at times. Mouthpieces are the worst offenders. I find that most new mouthpieces are just fine; I play on modern Selmers regardless of what horn it is on. I fall into the group of crazies that buy things I don't need. I usually buy about one sax a month on average. Some weeks I may get 3. I look for undervalued or underused horns that have the potential to increase in value but are still playable with a little work. I have about 12 Martins, 6 Conns and a few stencils for Altos. I recently picked up 2 King sopranos with near perfect plating and cases having pads that are fine as is. I paid about $1,200 for the straight and curved together. I can enjoy playing them and never worry about resale. Some people like to have one $7,000 alto whereas I prefer to have 15 good playing Altos for an investment of less than $7,000. I recently sold a Gregory mouthpiece that I offered for sale here last year for about $35 with no takers. It sold on ebay for about $370 last month. Times change I guess.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The word for the day boys and girls is "GAS." Can you say "GAS"? I knew you could. :D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
Sounds like Bruce and I are looking for some of the same horns.:D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts