Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a LaVoz medium reed that I have been playing for a while and I can get a pretty bright sound with it.

Today, I took out 2 new LaVoz medium reeds. They produce dark sound when I play them.

The cut of the reeds are the same, the material are the same. The only difference is that the old one may be softer and the material may have degraded.

Anyone experience this before?

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,196 Posts
A harder reed won't have so much edge. The tip of the soft reed will hit the tip rail of the mouthpiece more. You can't push it too much or the reed will close up. Get a harder reed and you can push more air vibrating the centre of the reed more giving a fuller sound.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,196 Posts
Incidentally, all the different sizes of reeds are made to the shame shape. They are then tested by flexing the reed to see how easily it bends and that is where the reed strength comes from.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I am going to try more reeds from the box.

However, I find that I like more seasoned reeds compared to new reeds. Seasoned reeds are so much nicer to play. Like a seasoned shoe, the nicest time is when it is going to spoil.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,287 Posts
What makes a reed dark or bright?
It's mainly to do with how the interior construction of cane can vary from plant to plant and can vary from reed pieces to reed pieces.

Reed work such as fixing reed warping or making the high or low register respond in a better way can only go so far as the reeds actual interior also plays a big part in the tone quality.

http://koppreeds.com/virtues.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts