Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wanted to know what ligature you guys use for jjdv alto. I'm using the one mine came with. Which is a rovner dark. I guess it works ok, but i want to try another ligature; i just haven't found one that would fit it.

i was looking into these: any thoughts?

www.theowanne.com/Acc-Ligatures.php

www.francois-louis.com/ultimate.html#chap1

or the ring ligature Jody jazz makes

Any suggestion on other ligs are also appreaciated!

·
Registered
923 Posts
Try an Olegature. I loved it on my JJ DV tenor when I used it.

·
Registered
496 Posts
You should try the Jody Jazz Ring Ligature. I find it to be the best ligature for the DV series. I have tried it with the Rovner and an Olegature, but the Ring works best.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Agreed.... I have the DV for tenor with the ring... It sounds much better because the ring is only for that muthpiece and the dvny

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have tried the Rovner Platinum, the Oleg, the FL, JJ Ring and who knows what else. The one I use & like the best is the Theo Wanne Enlightened. Best built, easy to secure the reed, & great sound. Plus, ir looks good. If it's in your budget, you will not be disappointed. At least, from my viewpoint.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for your response guys!

i guess ya'll leave me with no choice but to buy 2 ligs lol

on a serious note, my concern with the ring lig and others metal ligs would be if it scratches or cosmetically damages the mouthpiece?

does the ring lig and the enlighten stay secure in place or does it wiggle around?

if you guys have had experience with the rovner dark on a jjdv how would you say it differs from the ligs (oleg, ring lig, enlighten)you guys use on the dv now; in terms of sound?

·
Registered
139 Posts
jazzcat --

The JJ ring lig is good, too. Like any metal lig, it will scratch the gold plate on the mouthpiece. It depends on the reed as to how far it slides on the mpc. It does present a very good profile, though. It is my second favorite, behind the Theo Wanne.

Security has not been a problem with either lig for me.

·
Registered
353 Posts
At the TMEA convention, I tried the DV with the RICO H lig and the ring lig. The ring lig had a more free response and allowed more projection from my perspective. I would definitely get the gold ring lig if I bought a DV.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts