Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeking advice as to suggestions for non-rovner ligature for an older version of a lazer trimmed Guardala II.

B:)

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Selmer 402. Is that the Tenor size? I was reading an old thread about using this lig. on a DG and it said you have to bend it in to shape which is okay?

B

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Selmer 402. Is that the Tenor size? I was reading an old thread about using this lig. on a DG and it said you have to bend it in to shape which is okay?

B
After some research::faceinpalm:
402=alto
404=tenor

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all again. Another local sax player who plays the Guardala Studio uses an Otto Link ligature. B

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,323 Posts
A small Rovner or German PMS studio ligature.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Try a BG FL Series Lig. It works well on my Guardala Super King.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I use the theo wanne enlightened soprano lig with a stainless steel reed plate

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I use the theo wanne enlightened soprano lig with a stainless steel reed plate
I just looked this one up and I really like the simple nature of this piece. Tell me why you use a Stainless reed plate? B

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dropped the cash and bought a Wanne Enlightened. We shall see if I am actually enlightened once its here. B

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
the extra reed plates(especially the full pack) is the way to go with these ligs... im done reading the endless posts on SOTW how material has no affect on tone...those of us who beleive it does are WAY in the minority here,but we will still beleive what we do....im sure of all the naysayers to solid silver,copper etc. etc. some percentage may at least acccept that the reed plate does affect the sound more... the wanne system is brilliant in that the reed plate is intended to float...that is not clamp the reed,but vibrate with it....this is of course,the beginning point for the sound,so it is VERY important......sterling silver gives me more core,presence...overall tone..........titanium,i had higher hopes for...is very nice,but a bit smoothed out on the edges(thats why i use it exclusively on soprano,...takes of some bite)......stainless steel,as well as the stock thin brass plate give a high amount of vibration,power..i would call the stainless steel my pop plate... and the heavy,thick stock plate is actually very very nice,it just lacks some of the higher overtones,or presence of the special metals.

Top 2 Sterling Silver, or Stainless Steel(if i want to cut a bit more)
titanium
stock- great,but i get MORE from those listed above

...next its a simple,yet solid design that is very easy to adjust,...and easy to work with your mouthpiece without getting thrown off every time you adjust the piece

the reed plates are standard for all saxes...so you can swap them out between your soprano,alto,tenor....bari?,im not sure about that one....
anyway that was a big suprise and bonus when i got my Gaia soprano..... and now i use that soprano lig with guardala and stm links too!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi, blowers,
We're always the eternal discussion of the influence of the ligature in the sound, and I am of the view that all influence the sound to a greater or lesser extent. Mouthpiece, ligature, reed ...

Also a good ligature greatly facilitates to play a lot.

I have a Guardal Handmade for alto and use three ligatures with it, the standard of Dukoff, which are those that had the first Guardalas.
Also I have a Rovner Mark III that helps to darken the sound, although I personally do not like leather or textile ligatures, lower harmonics and edge.

Finally use the Selmer ligature for alto saxophone and is the best option.

Attention, because the Guardal is very narrow, alto and tenor are almost as wide and probably the tenor ligature fits big. The ligature for alto is tight, but you can use it

:tweety:

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the extra reed plates(especially the full pack) is the way to go with these ligs... im done reading the endless posts on SOTW how material has no affect on tone...those of us who beleive it does are WAY in the minority here,but we will still beleive what we do....im sure of all the naysayers to solid silver,copper etc. etc. some percentage may at least acccept that the reed plate does affect the sound more... the wanne system is brilliant in that the reed plate is intended to float...that is not clamp the reed,but vibrate with it....this is of course,the beginning point for the sound,so it is VERY important......sterling silver gives me more core,presence...overall tone..........titanium,i had higher hopes for...is very nice,but a bit smoothed out on the edges(thats why i use it exclusively on soprano,...takes of some bite)......stainless steel,as well as the stock thin brass plate give a high amount of vibration,power..i would call the stainless steel my pop plate... and the heavy,thick stock plate is actually very very nice,it just lacks some of the higher overtones,or presence of the special metals.

Top 2 Sterling Silver, or Stainless Steel(if i want to cut a bit more)
titanium
stock- great,but i get MORE from those listed above

...next its a simple,yet solid design that is very easy to adjust,...and easy to work with your mouthpiece without getting thrown off every time you adjust the piece

the reed plates are standard for all saxes...so you can swap them out between your soprano,alto,tenor....bari?,im not sure about that one....
anyway that was a big suprise and bonus when i got my Gaia soprano..... and now i use that soprano lig with guardala and stm links too!!!
I look forward to trying all the different plates. However I did get the mouthpiece and am using a Selmer 402 I found locally and holy moly this is one free blowing mutha! B

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hello Guys, I play my tenor with Guardala Studio mouthpiece on and I think the ligature is an important element! I have done several tests on my mouthpiece ..... I think the Rovner ligature is not good, in my 'kill' the sound by reducing vibration. I tried the Selmer ligature (in Italy there is a shop that sells Selmer tenor changed to fit the Guardala), and the situation has clearly improved, the sound became more defined compared to Rovner. I think that the best ligature for the Guardala mouthpieces is the FL, but unfortunately there is no provision for the mouthpiece. I bought a FL ''Pure Brass XL for HR moutpieces for soprano sax'', then you must enter the level expander (the level expander is a small ring that must be inserted between the ligature and plate), and of course buy the ''tenor - kit of pressure plates'' and ''tenor mouthpiece cap''. With 'stained steel plate' the resistance decreases and increases the harmonics, with 'heavy brass plate' (I am the best) significantly increases the resistance but also increase the density of sound and harmonics, the 'rubber coated stainless steel plate' is bad for me, as Rovner 'kill' the sound.

These are the pics of the modified Selmer ligature (the mouthpiece in the pics is my current Studio), I have highlighted in red the modified parts: http://img98.imageshack.us/g/tmpphpry1vyfj.jpg/

These are the pics of the FL (the mpc in the pics is my ex MB-II HM by PMS) http://img181.imageshack.us/g/dsc02796w.jpg/

Obviously what I wrote are my opinions, I hope to be helpful ;-)

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I decided to go with a Theo Wanne "Enlightened" Ligature with the solid brass pressure plate on my Guardala "Studio", and both my Brass Ponzols. The difference in ease of playing and tone quality was worth the elevated price tag for me. B

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
hey modman, the trick is not to tighten the screw too hard...its designed to be a floating system where the plate vibrates with the reed

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hey modman, the trick is not to tighten the screw too hard...its designed to be a floating system where the plate vibrates with the reed
I am figuring that out as I have been using it. This DG and TW E is the best combination I have ever experienced.

During the last couple of weeks using this DG against my beloved Ponzol pieces the DG/TWE is winning for pure power and grittiness.

B

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just bought a Guardala Studio for my tenor and the best fit was a Rico Oleg Ligature , It plays fantastic.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Saxxas ligature works great,the winslow copy.I end up going back to the trusty selmer 402 alto lig on my Guardalas.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts