Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The reason I ask is that it didn't come with one, and it's larger than most metal pieces, but smaller than most rubber pieces, so none of the ligs I tried have fit. I've been using some 12 gauge copper wire wrapped around multiple times, and pushed on until snug. That ain't ideal, since I understand the table is concave, and it would be good for the lig to apply pressure in the middle.

Anyway, love this piece. I just started playing soprano on a used Selmer series III. I tried the Bari metal 7*, and rubber 64, 68, 70, Otto link vintage series rubber 7*, Jody Jazz HR* 7*, Morgan vintage 7*. I could only play in tune on the metal pieces for some reason. The Lebayle Studio 7* was the best in tune and has a very rich, lush sound that is very interesting, but still very pleasing. Great dynamics, and had the best, most versatile sound. Not a pure sound, like the Bari pieces.

Also, FYI, I tried to order the Jazz chamber model from GC/WWBW/Musicians Friend/Music 123/etc. , and they kept sending me the Studio model, since the package had both labels.

Never came with a ligature, and Lebayle's email bounces, so I could use some help finding one that fits...

Thanks guys.

· Forum Contributor 2015-2016
1,511 Posts
Rovner? They fit a wide variety of mps, I love that aspect. I have many, many ligs, I think the Rovner is a neutral sound. Others may disagree. I think in many cases it's in their heads: Rovners are flexible, soft, I think that gets the idea of soft dead sound in some folks heads. No doubt they would disagree and say their impressions are real. In any case, cheap money, not much risk.

· Distinguished SOTW Member
14,671 Posts
Use rubber O-rings found at hardware stores until you find a ligature that fits. As far as which ligature is best, lots of varying opinions about that. It may depend on whether or not the moon is in the seventh house and Jupiter aligns with Mars. Really! DAVE

· Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks --

Well, I've tried the Rovner L2 (too small) and L3 (too big). I've heard the metal 3-band Selmer fits, but haven't tried it yet.

Regarding the impact on sound, I agree that the lig is near the end of the list of factors that matter, except when the table or reed is not flat.
http://tamingthesaxophone.com/saxophone-ligatures

I've watched all the lig marketing grow over the past 30 years as every new student creates a new opportunity....

Anyway, the search is still on for one that fits the Lebayle....

· Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, now I've tried all of the above plus all the Selmer ligs. None are even close...the taper is way off for the Selmers. Bonades way too large. Rovners -- none fit. BG -- not tried yet.
Anyone actually using one of these pieces?

Thanks again.

· Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,494 Posts
The Vandoren string ligature for soprano works well. I have a wood version of this piece. Otherwise it's a DIY job to make a string lig.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.