Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi... I recently had to buy a new lig because the original one that came with my Vandoren Java A45 is at its end! So went to the "local sax shop" and asked arround and they sugested tha Leather Vandoren witch came with a 3 plate kit. I thought it would be Cool and try out all diferent plates... After 3 weeks I'm not really happy...
I don't like the sound with any of the leather plates and so find my self only using the metal plate, and at the end still think the original metal lig was better...

I recently baught some diferent mp and would like you opinon on with lig would help me get a more free sound, good for contemp. Jazz, rock , funk and blues!

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,056 Posts
I've been using the inverted Vandoren Master lig.

B

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,309 Posts
Try a cheap metal 2 screw. They work and they don't break the bank.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,358 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,304 Posts
+1 on the two-screw/two-band ligs from whatever manufacturer you can find. I use Selmer's two-screw lig and love 'em . . . simple, secure, great sound, and inexpensive.

Of all the Rovners, I like the Eddie Daniels II the best, but those little metal inserts are a joke (my opinion). When they fall out and I lose them, the lig plays just as good empty as when they were inserted.

Vandoren Optimum? More marketing hype, although I like them better than Rovners. Finally, I use the Bonades (both standard and inverted) on soprano, too, and they are equal to the metal Selmers - for me. See a huge thread about ligs in this section. It all is subjective. DAVE

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thxs everyone... So I guess I was robed! I bought a 50€ ligature when a simple 15 - 20€ lig would have been a better choice!:evil:

It seems that many don't like the rovner lig... Why is that? Does that include the Light version? And about the BG models any advantage?

·
14,304 Posts
It isn't that I DISlike Rovners as it is that the simple metal two-screw models work better for me. I have an almost full set of Rovners collected over the years (light, dark, EDII, Evo5, etc.) and sometimes I find them useful, mainly when I want to cut the buzz on a certain set-up with a certain reed in a certain playing environment. They aren't BAD and probably just as many players like them. DAVE

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,246 Posts
Well, I play a Jumbo Java A45 and have been playing it for years with an Optimum and with a Rovner Light, too. The Masters Lig., as stated, is indeed very good for it, too. I have tried and worked very well.

What I use is the Plate No. 1, the one that comes with the Optimum Ligature as it is and the Jumbo Java performs very well. The Rovner Light sounds very good and is my second choice. For a Java I would give them a try.

All the best,

JI

·
Registered
886 Posts
Thxs everyone... So I guess I was robed! I bought a 50€ ligature when a simple 15 - 20€ lig would have been a better choice!:evil:

It seems that many don't like the rovner lig... Why is that? Does that include the Light version? And about the BG models any advantage?
BG ligatures are popular with clarinetists, and I use one on my bari piece. They are different from Rovners in that there is a metal cradle that holds the reed, so it is not in contact with the reed's edges. That is the difference between a ligature that's a good fit and one that isn't, IMHO. They share the advantage with Rovners of fitting a wider range of mouthpiece sizes. Their options in regards to plating of the metal cradle is silly, though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Bonade Inverted two-screw ligature. They are heavy made, hold the reed well, look good and don't dampen the tone. They are just a better-made version of a standard two-screw lig. And they don't cost too much.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think i'll keep the lig for those ocasions when I want a sofrer, less edgy tone... Going to take a look át. The Rovner Light and some metal ligs... Is there any you recomend from the fabric leather ligs? I ask ony because, as I posted previously, i bought several mp recently and they don't come with lig, so these seem to be good choice because they adapt better to diferent mp... Right?

·
29,358 Posts
Is there any you recomend from the fabric leather ligs? I ask ony because, as I posted previously, i bought several mp recently and they don't come with lig, so these seem to be good choice because they adapt better to diferent mp... Right?
My favourite fabric (not leather) ligature is a Rovner Star, however I have a collection of various Rovners as I am frequently borrowing and testing different mouthpieces, and between the handful of Rovners there is always one that will fit anything.

·
2,309 Posts
How is your ligature "at it's end"? Unless you've crushed it somehow or stripped out the threads by using vice grip fingers a lig is pretty hard to wear out.

·
29,358 Posts
How is your ligature "at it's end"? Unless you've crushed it somehow or stripped out the threads by using vice grip fingers a lig is pretty hard to wear out.
This is a good point, and even if it's bent it's worth fixing one of those original vandoren screw ligs. If you can't do it yourself, any decent saxophone tech will be able to reform it to fit the A 45 in less than five minute. Or small engineering shop should be able to do it for that matter.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The original A45 lig lost all laqueur with extensive oxidation and was bent ( my dog got to it before I did!). After buying the leather Vandoren and not being that happy with it i decides to ré over de original lig. Witch is Ok now (except for the cosmetic part). But I still need a lig for the new mp I baught I can tell witch they are:
- Otto Link STM 5*
- E. Rousseau #6 metal mp
- Claude Lakey HR 5*3

... I konw! GAS!
Thank you all for posting.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Otto Link arrived today and came with lig + cap so you can take it off the previous list... any thoiughts on ligs for the other two mp?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Since you're in Europe, the GF-System band ligs are within reach (via Thomann in Germany or directly - if more expensive - from the maker in Germany). They're inexpensive compared to other ligs of similar design, well documented (so you can make an informed choice) and do the job very well: If I was still fully convinced of a "sound" being created by the ligature, I'd describe them as "neutral to open and bright" (i.e. I don't think they influence sound in a bad way). In my opinion they simply do a good job of fixing the reed quickly, accurately and securely to the mouthpiece. For me, the *quick* part is as important as the other two, that's why I don't like two-screw ligs that much. But I agree that they do the job...

M.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts