Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,329 Posts
It's an ugly one!!! just kidding, but its an old old horn based on the octave mechanism. It is probably from around the time of the original Adolphe Sax saxophone, or shortly thereafter. It may be collectible, but as far as sound ....who knows.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
Not unless you just want a collectible. It's hard to see but it looks like it only goes down to low B. I can't tell if it goes up to F or not. You may have to use 2 octave keys. One up to G and the other above G, if I remember correctly.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
That would be keyed low B to high F (amazingly enough!) One pic showed it good. Just barely after the first series of Adolph Sax. Too many alternate keys to be one of those weird short lived student sax things I believe Martin built.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Not enough detail to the picture to tell. It could be high pitch, low pitch, F, or even an odd c-mel. Need dimensions, some higher resolution shots of the serial number, engraving, etc.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Looks exactly like one of the ones from India that are somewhat recently manufactured, and basically worthless. Although its hard to tell from the pictures. Those are usually seen in silver, and showed up on ebay every now and again. Without some close ups I'd stay far far away unless you get it cheap.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
Looks exactly like one of the ones from India that are somewhat recently manufactured, and basically worthless. Although its hard to tell from the pictures. Those are usually seen in silver, and showed up on ebay every now and again. Without some close ups I'd stay far far away unless you get it cheap.
I tend to agree that this is more likely than a genuine antique instrument. If it really is an old instrument, it may well be more of a museum piece than a useful horn

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well, the seller updated the description; he added the info from a nameplate which states its from a dutch store: W. Hampe.
which is currently the oldest music store in the country W. Hampe was a violin builder and he has been known to import saxophones from the late 1890`s and early 20`s, maybe earlier because the store dates back to 25 oktober 1842.

its still a mystery but ìm a little bit closer.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
NOS (New Old Stock) perhaps? What a concept.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.