Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Yani 800 into the shop on Wednesday, and picked it up today. While I was their the tech. told me that the pads were getting old, and will probably need to be replaced soon. I assumed soon to be before I go to college. I have decided on Roo Pads from Music Medic. The only pad set that they have for Yani, is Yani 990. Are the 990 and the 800 the same in how big the pads are?

Also the pad prices depend on the resonator. How does the resonator influence the sound?

Thanks.
~Carbs

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,962 Posts
Carbs said:
I took my Yani 800 into the shop on Wednesday, and picked it up today. While I was their the tech. told me that the pads were getting old, and will probably need to be replaced soon. I assumed soon to be before I go to college. I have decided on Roo Pads from Music Medic. The only pad set that they have for Yani, is Yani 990. Are the 990 and the 800 the same in how big the pads are?
Let your technician be responsible for buying the pads. That way if they don't fit, you aren't the middle man. Your tech can specify the pad set by sizing each pad if need be or request the set and then get a couple of replacements if there are misfits.

Carbs said:
Also the pad prices depend on the resonator. How does the resonator influence the sound?
That is a job for Mr. Search Function! Seriously, 12% of the SotW archives are filled with reso talk.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,048 Posts
Seriously, use the search button!!

(and let the tech buy the materials)

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, it has nice dark gold lacquer, looks kinda honey colored.
Killer horn as is. It might be cool to use the sax gourmet black roo pads, but not sure of what resonator to use. Still unsure about the ordering part. One day I will have to order my own pads, if I ever do my own tech work.
So I am not sure about that aspect.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Black would look better, I think, on a dark honey-gold coloured sax. I still think traditional brown works best for lacquered horns, if you're really concerned about aesthetics.

But, apparently, you should not order your own pads. (Thanks Carl :))

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,048 Posts
Black is new and different, but I went with white on both saxes I had roo put on. I had oversized seamless domed metal resonators put on too. I might try plastic resonators next time just to see how I like that, but I have no complaints with the metal. The cost of resonators is small in comparison to the labor cost involved, so get what you want or are advised to get and don't nitpick the cost. (I wouldn't mess around with Noyek or similar resonators if you ever plan to need this horn in college. )

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am not going to nit pick on cost on any project from now on. Ya get what you pay for. I like the idea of metal, but I am still unsure of the difference between metal and plastic. I am leaning towards metal, but... I will hopefully use this horn past college.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I've had the white roo pads put on two different horns. One with seemless metal resos and one with the brown plastic. Tonally I'm not sure there is much of a difference since they are about the same size and shape. Never the less, my preference is for plastic. The white roo pads look great in my opinion and have not gotten dirty over time like I thought they would.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts