Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
That's weird. Based on the serial number it was manufactured in 1959 but according to saxpics Conn didn't introduce the sheet metal keyguards until 1963.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,620 Posts
Reet,

That is a foto of a 16M tenor. Completely different beast.

But the OP bari looks newer than 1959 anyway...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,321 Posts
Is it a DJM modified model?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,321 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,512 Posts
Dammit Keith beat me to it.

14M, UMI-era. Good horns, they were only around a few years. UMI put RTH on a few of their models (King 662, Armstrong 3050, some Conn 22M's as well...)

Very obscure, but good players. Yes, more modern keywork than any other Conn bari, a bit slicker under the fingers than the 12M. Not sure if it was a 12M body just updated w/ some redesigned keys, or a different body spec. I never got to service one. I have, oddly, had an opp to play a couple.

Pretty good horn, tho. In playing shape with good pads, no significant body boo-boos, worth maybe around $1300-1500 or so....needing significant work, not more than maybe $600ish....

...so the opening bid isn't unfair.

(If anyone wants to buy it, I'll gladly work her up for you, and keep it to $500 or less ($500 would include a full repad, which it perhaps won't need)....I like these).

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Not me - you guys are the experts. I thought the thing said 14M the first time I looked but it wasn't until I looked at the posts in the link Raphyel posted above which discusses the 14M that it made sense to me.

Horn looks like it's in okay shape (hard to tell since the pics are not great) and the seller claims it's recently been serviced. Seems like a really good price for Conn bari if it's basically the same body tube as the 12M.

·
Registered
Conn New Wonder 1 Alto & Conn 10M Tenor
203 Posts
Saw that one on eBay and was suspicious of it. Glad to learn it's legit.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,512 Posts
Horn looks like it's in okay shape (hard to tell since the pics are not great) and the seller claims it's recently been serviced. Seems like a really good price for Conn bari if it's basically the same body tube as the 12M.
If it goes for under $1g it is a good price regardless of whether it is 12M-ish or not, actually. These were quite decent, UMI put some thought into their upper-shelf models....

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
About the 14M, according to saxpics "The Director is an "updating" of the 1930's Pan American model (similar keywork, bore size, etc.). This is an intermediate model and was marketed and priced as such."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts