Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
I saw that a few days ago. It says nickel plate, but the tone of the color looks more silver plate to me, with silver plated keys. It’s an 89,000 series number, so that puts it in the early ‘90s I think. It doesn’t have the same look to the nickel plate that the clear nickel has, which is what my alto is.

But the neck strap hook looks weird, more like those that they use for their bass saxophones now. And the name on the front of the bell doesn’t match with others that I have seen, with the cursive Julius.

No adjustable palms keys, odd thumb hook, bell brace, and left side key guard.

It’s in Japan. The sales description has no info on it’s provenance, nothing about when or where it was bought or the “Special Edition”. I would say there’s a chance that it may be a Chinese forgery.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,409 Posts
That's genuine enough. Probably pre-90's same spec as a H Couf 'Superba'/C G Conn 'DJH Modified' .The thumbrest is of that era ,even got the yellow tubing on pivot points which I didn't like personally but again points to it's authenticity. Probably silver plated or 'german nickel' which has a mellower sheen to it than standard bright nickel which is usual.
Great powerful horns much better than later offerings.

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
I've seen that model listed before and I'm sure it is authentic. Its likely a predecessor to the SX90. I highly doubt its nickel and suspect its silver plated too.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I got a reply from the seller that they dont know more than what you have answered me. Ser.nr. is 89xxx and should from about 1985. It looks like it is marked "special" on the bell, and it has straight toneholes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,536 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts