Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Most impressive live, bar none, was Sonny Rollins playing an unaccompanied solo for about 15 - 20 minutes at Wolf Trap Virginia for Dizzy Gillispie's birthday. It was transcendental.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts
Oscar Peterson, Dizzy, Dex, Michael Brecker, Bob Berg.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
15,946 Posts
Stan Getz
Wes Montgomery
Branford Marsalis
Almost got to see Ramsey Lewis, but he got drunk at the Playboy club and couldn't make it.

·
2,144 Posts
Seeing Phil Woods at the ShowBoat was right up there. I was already "impressed" before I ever heard him in a live setting though. I also saw both Phil Woods and Jim Hall on the same night at the Bottom Line in NYC. That was a great show, but the sound wasn't as good as the ShowBoat. The ShowBoat was one of the best venues I've ever been to for a small jazz group like that.

·
2,144 Posts
Miles with Scofield and Bob Berg
Oh yeah...seeing Miles in Boston was definitely a big night for me. To be honest though...and with no disrespect for Miles...I was more impressed by Mike Stern than I was by Miles that night.

Billy Taylor was another one. Awesome awesome piano playing. I had the pleasure of cooking dinner for him in my restaurant after the show, and chatted with him over a cup of coffee after dinner. A truly gracious gentleman he was...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts
Oh, most recently: Eddie Daniels. Playing the Thad Jones Mel Lewis Orchestra songbook with a local big band. "Three And One", playing the barisax part on clarinet, and so on. HUGE ! He also told us about those times, as he was the "newbie" in the orchestra, and Thad didn't want him to play clarinet.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
Steve Lacy and the sextet playing at Johnathan Swifts club in cambridge on Halloween night around '79 or '80. In the middle of a rather dense group free improvisation he quoted Out of Nowhere. I've always loved that.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Bill Evans was killin last night in Philly...2 drummers Billy Martin and Calvin weston with the bandana'd man....he went everywhere ,cause he could....very impressive

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,591 Posts
I've had the chance to see Jeff Coffin several times over the last 8-10 years in a few different settings and groups (Mu'tet, Bela Fleck, clinic, trio/ quartet before the mu'tet days...not with DMB yet though), and he kills it every time. In addition to being a great player, he has this energy on stage that carries through into his music...a must see in my opinion. He is also VERY approachable in the clinic setting and if you run into him when he's not performing. In the few times I've spoken with him, I am sure he would be an incredible educator...If he didn't always have the world tour thing going on.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts