Sax on the Web Forum banner

161 - 180 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
On tenor I play a YTS-82 UL (1st gen) with a 10mFan "The Boss" metal 8*, Rico H ligature and Fibracell 3 reeds. I also own two lovely Selmers but this is my go-to combination for sheer fun and for that huge sound that is needed for the soul/funk setting I usually play in. It also feels a lot better to use the Yamaha rather than the Selmers at gigs and rehearsals outside the house!
I also play a little baritone and for this purpose I use an early YBS-32 with a Jody Jazz DV7, a no-name metal ligature and Fibracell 2,5 reeds. This gives me a rather bright sound (as expected!) with a lot of edge and an almost tenor-like feeling. Having previously played mostly Selmer and Yanagisawa, I have now (somewhat reluctantly) become a Yamaha fan!

/Saxray

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I don't have a Yamaha in the family. In 2014, I had sold my YTS 62II tenor to fund a watch and never got another one. I miss it.
You have a cell phone? Time to sell the watch!

·
Registered
59 Posts
YAMAHA YAS-23 bought second-hand March 2018 - my first sax!
Mp:Jody Jazz HR* 5M
Lig:Vandoren Optimum
Reeds:Java Red 2.0 work well, as do Rico Royal 2.0. Select Jazz 2H are a bit firm for me.
I'd like to try maybe Hemke 2.0, or D'addario Select Jazz 2M.
I still have my training wheels on, enjoying the journey so far.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Yamaha YAS-62ii (as of today!)
Phil-Tone Solstice
Vandoren Optimum ligature
Vandoren Java Red 2.5

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,355 Posts
My hat goes into the Yamaha club now.

YTS-61
Warburton 12 Degree 8 (.110), Green Java 3.5, Rico H-Lig
Amazingly the only thing different is I've been using Red Javas (basically since this last post was made) and switched back to my Rovners because I can actually adjust the mouthpiece without it exploding. They sound better too.

Almost my 2 year Yamaha Birthday.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Currently rocking an original woodwind co. Meliphone Special mouthpiece on my YTS-82z. Love the way the whole saxophone just vibrates under my fingers with that mouthpiece.

·
Registered
Early 70's Yamaha YTS-21 with a 10MFan Classic 7* 'piece and whatever reed is in the case
124 Posts
Just picked up an EARLY YTS-21 and I hope to pick up a mouthpiece/ligature/reeds tomorrow.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Back in March 2018, I bought a new Yamaha YTS-875EXII, replacing a Yamaha YTS-52. I play on a Vandoren V16 T6, with either a Rovner Dark or Vandoren M/O ligature. Reed is Vandoren V21 2.5.

Marvelous sounding horn.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I have a like new YTS-23 after having owned pretty much EVERYTHING else. Play it with a Vandoren V16 T6 now but am planning on trying the V16 T6L. Use a Rovner dark lig and a M/O with ZZ 3 or JAVA Red 2-1/2 reeds.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
Really been liking my YBS 61 with my Norberto Klum .119 metal piece.
Or my Strathon Adjustatone 8*.
For a low A horn the 61’s are a really powerful horn.
And possibly the most Mouthpiece friendly older low A baritones around.

161 - 180 of 195 Posts