Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are threads like this elsewhere - but what about one entirely devoted to Yamaha instruments?

So, post your set-up!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Lacquered YAS-62 (1999) with silver G-3 neck, metal Beechler 7, plasticovers 2.5/3.0.

·
Registered
647 Posts

Yamaha YSS-62 purple label (1978)
Selmer Paris Super Session J
Rico Jazz Select 2M

Yamaha C-6 acoustic grand piano (7' 6")

Yamaha P-90 digital stage piano controlling a Roland XV-5050 synth module through a DSP 256XL multi-effects processor.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Tenor: Yamaha 82Z, Theo Wanne Datta 8, Bari * medium reeds sanded to remove some of the buzz. Back-up tenor is a Barone Classic
Alto: Purple logo YAS-62 with a V1 neck, RPC 80B mpc, Bari soft reeds sanded

For tenor I've been through 3 Selmer VIs, Selmer Series II, B&S, H.Couf, Dolnet, Yani 990, Keilwerth SX90, and a Keilwerth SX90R Nickel Silver and the 82Z is the workhorse gig horn that kills them all. It is great to step on stage and focus on the music and not think about the horn or setup.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
tomsch,

That cracks me up. I've been through 3 VI's, a VII, a 10M, a Series III, a BN SX90R and a Yani 880. I recently have come back to sax from giving trumpet a try(actually a Yamaha trumpet). I'm currently playing a yts-23 and will be going to a YTS-62 or 82Z after a few months of getting my chops back.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I have to describe myself in similar fashion to Tom and Bob...and as I saw on another post somewhere "the legion of SOTW sax-flippers)..
and now a (drum roll please)

Yamaha Custom 875 with G1 neck (not EX but an the model made before the 82Z was introduced, this one made in 2005.
At the moment my only tenor. I almost always had back up horns...usually keeping at least 2 at a time, one nice one and one less expensive one for gigs when the nice one was in the shop or a job I didn't want to take the nice horn to a job.

I am very please with the Yamaha Custom 875, it really embodies everything I have wanted, the only thing that would better for me is to have a 62,61 or 82Z as my back-up one day.

·
Registered
153 Posts
See my sig below.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
The 875 was one of the best tenors I'v ever tried. I tested a silver plated one at USAHorn years ago. I almost traded a mark VI for it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
4 digit YTS61 03xx 1969/70 unknown neck (extensively modified) but with original YTS 61 BA style wire octave key. Double arms on low C Key and low B. Conn 'Constellation' style octave thumb touch. Unique and a keeper---I've had 'em all over the last 40 odd years. Sakshama STM 7* or Berg SS 100/2 SMS or Yanigasawa 6 or whatever else will fit the bill. Reeds? anything that works at a particular moment in time.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Alto - YAS-62S, Guardala King/Java 3/Winslow lig, S80 C*/Vandoren trad 3/Rovner versa, Meyer 6M/Java Green 3/Rovner Versa
Tenor - YTS-875S, Jody Jazz DV/Java 3.5/Rico H lig, Vandoren V5 T25/Rico Reserve 3/Vandoren M/O lig

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2019
1,010 Posts
YTS 82Z UL - back and forth between Morgan 7M, Ponzol II-V-I, and RPC .100. This week it's the Ponzol, but next week who knows? Rico H lig on the Morgan and RPC; Rovner on the Ponzol. Legere Signature 2.25 on all (and none of those work well on my VI, on which I go back and forth between a Phil-Tone Equinox 6 and a Florida Link 5*) I hated the Ponzol on my VI and was about to sell it last week when I thought I'd give it a try on the Z. Solid - very nice, and the darkness balances with the Z nicely for jazz. Prefer the Morgan for R&B

YAS23- Meyer 6M, Legere signature 2.25

YSS475 - Yamaha 4C (But I never play this, as I prefer the Cannonball)

·
Registered
925 Posts
I use an early YTS-61 as a backup tenor, not because it isn't a good horn, but because it isn't exactly what I want in a horn. Love the thing to death, though. Usually use a Jody Jazz Classic 7* (my preferred STM NY just doesn't have the strength to power through on the 61).

My primary (and only) bari is an early purple label YBS-62. Just a total beast. Depending on the situation, it will have either a Link Tone Edge 6* or a RIA aluminum 8 (for when I want everybody in the neighbourhood to know that I am playing bari).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
On my son's YTS-62II, my son uses a Selmer S80 D. He's tried several other pieces, but the Selmer S80 gives him a nice but darker "Selmerish" tone that matches his playing style very well.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Let's see...

• Alto saxophone: YAS-62. Currently playing a Phil-Tone Solstice
  • Tenor saxophone: YTS-82z. Currently playing a Vandoren TL4
  • Baritone Saxophone: YBS-62. Currently preferring a Selmer C*
  • Synthesizer: Yamaha DX-7II ...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
872 Posts
YTS-23 with either an Otto Link modern Slant 6* or a Selmer S80 C**.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yamaha YAS-62 alto circa 1986, Peter Ponzol Custom Gold Plated Saxophone Neck / Crook with Vintage Brilhart Level Air No. 4 (80 thou.) metal circa 1969 mouthpiece, Rovner C-1M ligature, and a whole bunch of different reeds,

Yamaha YTS-62 tenor circa 1985 with Vintage Brilhart Level Air No. 6* (100 thou.) metal circa 1973 mouthpiece, Rovner C-2M ligature,and a whole bunch of different reeds,

Yamaha FG-720S six string acoustic guitar,

Yamaha PSR-GX 76 keyboard,

2009 Yamaha YZF R1,

Yamaha separate component double cassette deck,

Cheers
Greg S.

1 - 20 of 195 Posts