Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a lot of the people talking good about some brands, but I also see more salemans , dealers, shop owners to boast on how good the horn they sell.

What I am not hearing much is the real voice from the guys who actural buy the horn because of all the marketing, or salesman's word.

Are there anyone who wants to speak up!!!:bluewink:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Well... there was this one time I bought this 92 year old Conn. :twisted: It was such a terrible deal, the pads hardly sealed, the finish was tarnished, there was a broken spring. I'm gonna email Charles Gerard and get a refund, anyone got his email address?

@ss-like sarcasm aside, you are asking a big question.

Are we talkin new, vintage, or antique?

Some people prefer new for the latest advances in keywork/acoustics etc.

Others prefer vintage for a time tested sound that is sure to impress.

Still others prefer antiques :) because they often have individual qualities and characteristics that you just don't find anymore, and can have great sound. That, or they are either a collector or just weird :dontknow: Adolph's originals sound real nice...

You would be better off browsing the home forums of brands YOU like and reading what others have to say there because after all it is 80-90% about player and the rest is up to the horn/accessories. I bet some of the members here could make a student model horn sing out like a pro quality sax...

I, of course, will recommend that you get a Conn C-Melody. I fixed my 92 year old one up a little bit, and people tell me it sounds like a saxophone. :bluewink:

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
When I had money (a long time ago), I bought a King Vol Tru 2 alto from my teacher for well over £1000. To put that in context, I could have probably had a VI alto at the time for the same money. That was an utter rip off and the guy really should have been ashamed of himself.

Basically, you need to be careful who you trust when you're buying stuff. And cheap junk is still junk. But I do honestly think there are fewer junk (new) saxes about now than there were say 7-8 years ago.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
....there's a common scam,ebay related.... the seller is selling a busted horn and knows it...sends you the junk ,and then claims it was the post office that did it...then it's a insurance claim...takes a while,and for a brief moment he seller has BOTH your money and the insurance money.......takes a while...you PROBABLY will get your money back....maybe not all...and its just a royal pain......

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
Mine was probably a Selmer MKVI alto (with low A). I didn't know any better at the time other than to take the salesman's word for it.

Now I would only buy a horn that I have tried. I still listen to what the salesperson says, but take it with a pinch of salt.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,227 Posts
Not really bad, but disappointing: 2 used SA-II sopranos in a row, which I kept each for no more than 6 months. Fortunately, I could sell them without loss. By then, there was no Internet. They came from ads on boards at music schools. Both times I had tried them before buying them, and thought my chops would grow to the horns. Until I played a couple of japanese sopranos (both brands): it became very obvious for me that I had nothing to expect from SA-II sopranos.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,315 Posts
I purchased a BRAND NEW - Yani S992 Soprano from a 'reputable' on-line dealer that does not accept returns. The horn was a dog from the get go. It never played properly. I spent a month practicing on this piece of &^%, two trips to my local tech, and finally ended up taking a $700 loss reselling on E-bay. I don't mind buying horns on-line BUT will NEVER purchase another horn from this dealer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Alpine alto sax. Complete and utter piece of crap.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
Alpine alto sax. Complete and utter piece of crap.
I'm wondering whether you were talked into buying one of these by the salesperson or was it the advertising copy that convinced you this might not be a piece of crap?

·
Registered
565 Posts
There was a time when I was in college and I was having my YTS-62 worked on. A friend of mine let me borrow his Selmer Serie II tenor for a gig that day. I was all excited about getting to play a Selmer. It was the worst playing horn I have ever picked up. I couldn't get anything below a G to even speak at all and the rest of the horn was very stuffy. It could have just been full of leaks, I don't know, because my friend could pick it up and play it perfectly, subtone and all. That incident scared me away from Selmers for about another ten years.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,185 Posts
Not something I bought but I inquired about a horn on ebay from Gary Sugal. He had a "make and offer" so I made a very reasonable offer. He immediately denied it, wrote me a nasty email and increased the price of the "buy it now" and removed the "make an offer". :tsk:

B

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,410 Posts
When I had money (a long time ago), I bought a King Vol Tru 2 alto from my teacher for well over £1000. To put that in context, I could have probably had a VI alto at the time for the same money. That was an utter rip off and the guy really should have been ashamed of himself.

Basically, you need to be careful who you trust when you're buying stuff. And cheap junk is still junk. But I do honestly think there are fewer junk (new) saxes about now than there were say 7-8 years ago.
You were well 'done' Rooty that guy shoulda been thrown off Blackpool Central Pier or gone cockle picking in Morcambe when the tide was coming in!
What was he like as teacher--sounds a right a$%e to me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
I'm wondering whether you were talked into buying one of these by the salesperson or was it the advertising copy that convinced you this might not be a piece of crap?
The former! Actually, my Selmer USA alto got badly damaged by a drunk in a bar (i.e. another drunk) and, when I took it in for repairs, the guy at the shop said it couldn't be fixed and convinced me I'd be better off with this Alpine. This was just before I moved to Korea. When I got there I joined a little band of ex-pats, and discovered that the thing was unusable. Luckily for me, I found a giant used instrument market in Seoul where I bought a SA80 alto for $700 Cdn. Hurling Frootmig has that one now. I don't know where that horn was made, but it was pure garbage.

·
Registered
860 Posts
A Stagg curved soprano - the neck bent when putting the horn together for the first time (no, I didn't use force!); the palm keys were prone to bending simply by playing the horn. The octave mechanism couldn't be made to work properly even after the neck was reshaped. Bought it for approx. $400, had to take it to a tech to fix for another $80, sold it for some $80 a few weeks later (and was happy to get that - I actually told the buyer all about the horn, and she still bought it!).

M.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
There was a time when I was in college and I was having my YTS-62 worked on. A friend of mine let me borrow his Selmer Serie II tenor for a gig that day. I was all excited about getting to play a Selmer. It was the worst playing horn I have ever picked up. I couldn't get anything below a G to even speak at all and the rest of the horn was very stuffy. It could have just been full of leaks, I don't know, because my friend could pick it up and play it perfectly, subtone and all. That incident scared me away from Selmers for about another ten years.
I had an SII tenor that played the way ekdowlin described and this was right after I got it back from the tech! I traded it away very soon after.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
You were well 'done' Rooty that guy shoulda been thrown off Blackpool Central Pier or gone cockle picking in Morcambe when the tide was coming in!
What was he like as teacher--sounds a right a$%e to me.
I should make clear that this was not in the Blackpool area it was down south (implied regionalist dig: "where there are more con artists" LOL). And we're talking a decade and a half ago. I suppose you could say he was one of those "plausible rogues". At the time I thought he was a great guy and a character. Looking back, my consolation is that despite all his bull he really wasn't much good at music and never, ever could be.

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016
1,708 Posts
I bought an Albert clarinet shaped object from Raisons of India for $90AUD. Fantastic service - courier to my door in about 4 days. Absolutely unplayable and no other mouthpiece will fit it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts