Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After many combinations, and usually preferring the Series II Alto with its original necks, after using a Solid Silver Series III neck on it I find it very interesting.

I have used this neck on Reference Altos, too, and the response has been very good.

I do not find the Series III saxophone as a whole of my complete liking, but this Series II body with the Series III neck seems to add more harmonics to the sound.

I find also that with this combo the mouthpiece has to be pushed more into the cork for finding the correct tuning.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
After many combinations, and usually preferring the Series II Alto with its original necks, after using a Solid Silver Series III neck on it I find it very interesting.

I have used this neck on Reference Altos, too, and the response has been very good.

I do not find the Series III saxophone as a whole of my complete liking, but this Series II body with the Series III neck seems to add more harmonics to the sound.

I've written about this before, but this combination did not work for me. I got weird overtones and harmonic jumps in the wrong places.

I find also that with this combo the mouthpiece has to be pushed more into the cork for finding the correct tuning.
That's because the Series III neck is longer than the Series II neck. The Series III neck needs to have the mouthpiece pushed almost to the very start of the cork.

·
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's because the Series III neck is longer than the Series II neck. The Series III neck needs to have the mouthpiece pushed almost to the very start of the cork.[/QUOTE]

Now I see. Thank you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,767 Posts
I think you should lay out the different necks and see for yourself if they are different lengths. I would find any obvious physical differences in modern Selmer alto necks to be surprising. Most likely you like the silver neck because of the silver as well as the expected fluctuations in manufacturing making similar necks play differently.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
The Selmer Series II and series III necks have different interior cones. If I understand correctly the series II is a true cone and the series III has a true cone that is squeezed and longer at some point. The series III neck on a series II is a very popular combination.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
I think you should lay out the different necks and see for yourself if they are different lengths.
Well, zp can measure his own gear as he wishes, but that is exactly what I did. https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...es-II-vs-Series-III-Long-term-alto-comparison. Why else would I make such a statement here?

I would find any obvious physical differences in modern Selmer alto necks to be surprising. Most likely you like the silver neck because of the silver as well as the expected fluctuations in manufacturing making similar necks play differently.
So you believe the fact that one neck is silver and the other brass is more important than the fact that one neck is a Series III and the other a Series II, and thus are known to differ in their dimensions? That makes no sense to me, sorry.

·
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually this combination seems to better for me than the Series III or Series II with its respective necks.

The Selmer Series II and series III necks have different interior cones. If I understand correctly the series II is a true cone and the series III has a true cone that is squeezed and longer at some point. The series III neck on a series II is a very popular combination.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts