Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,610 Posts
Jean Baptiste Deluxe Curved Soprano in Taiwan (much better than anyone expects it to be).

I play it with a #8 Bari Gold metal mouthpiece. It sounds absolutely awesome. It's got this HUGE, yet sweet sound. It's powerful but well-mannered. I use vandoren #3ZZ reeds.

I really love my setup. Even though the soprano needs to be fixed (in almost 3 years it has never been serviced) it still plays wonderfully with an excellent tone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,361 Posts
Conn curved, Conn Chu straight, Buescher TT IV straight, King curved, Holton C. I use a Yamaha 4C for most and sometimes a Selmer Super Session E.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Chinese made Wexle (plays as you expect)

HR Otto Link TE 6*, Otto Link STM 6*.

Vandoren Java/Trad/ZZ 3/3.5/4/5

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Selmer Super Action 80 serie II. Started w/ a S-80 C** mthpc w/ a 3 1/2 Hemke reed then a Super Session E w/ a Hemke 3 reed. Recently switched to a Selmer S-90 200 w/ a Hemke 3 1/2 reed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,001 Posts
Antigua Winds 590LQ
Selmer S-80 E for smooth sound, Rovner Dark
Runyon Custom #6 with Spoiler, Rovner Dark for general jazz
Runyon Smooth Bore #6 with Spoiler, metal lig for fancy stuff.

Vandoren ZZ 2.0 for all.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yamaha Custom EX

Selmer Soloist E mouthpiece

Vandoren Traditional 2.5 or 3 JAVA

And, im still looking/trying out ligs. I'm using a generic one.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Barone gold-plated soprano
Barone classic mouthpiece (came with the horn)
Vandoren Blue Box 2.5
generic lig

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
My daughter's set up: Yanagisawa SC-991 curved soprano w/ a Yanagisawa HR 5 (hemke 2 reed{she's 11 yrs old-started soprano at age 6}).

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My daughter's set up: Yanagisawa SC-991 curved soprano w/ a Yanagisawa HR 5 (hemke 2 reed{she's 11 yrs old-started soprano at age 6}).
Nothing like giving your children the best. Way to go! B:cool:

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
She won 2nd place w/ the RMF sholarship audition on soprano sax playing Teleman sonata in C minor transcribed by Eric Nestler. She plays soprano/alto sax in our sax trio. Her sis plays tenor and I play baritone. She plays flute,clarinet,piano and string bass as well. She wants to be a music professor when she grows up!!!

·
Registered
295 Posts
As a saying goes " A Family that plays sax together stays together"...;):)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
866 Posts
She won 2nd place w/ the RMF sholarship audition on soprano sax playing Teleman sonata in C minor transcribed by Eric Nestler. She plays soprano/alto sax in our sax trio. Her sis plays tenor and I play baritone. She plays flute,clarinet,piano and string bass as well. She wants to be a music professor when she grows up!!!
You sound so proud! Must be a wonderful experience to play with her. I'm very happy for you.

My setup below: currently using Fiberreeds (still trying Legers/Fibracells from time to time).

·
Registered
764 Posts
I am always changing things, but have been playing a Yamaha YSS-62R since I bought it - just a great horn. Current mouthpiece is a Meyer 5 with Rovner EVO-5 lig and a Legere 2.5 synthetic reed. I also play Buescher straight and curved and Yanis.

I wish my skills were as good as the equipment.......

·
Registered
18 Posts
Rampone & cazzani R1 jazz saxello
Lebayle mouthpiece
vandoren classic reeds.

sounds better than my old selmer serie III....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Antigua Winds 590LQ
Ponzol M1 65
Rovner Dark Lig
Vandoren Classic #3 reeds

Haven't we done this one before? It seems like de'ja' vu all over again. ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
Yamaha YSS-62 (repadded with Saxgourmet and cork pads) with ebonite Lawton 6*B, Plasticover 2.5 reeds.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts