Sax on the Web Forum banner

What is your primary occupation (source of income)?

• Band Director (College)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Band Director ( K-12)

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Repair Tech

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Instrument/Sheet/Uniform sales

• Choir Director

• Teacher of non-music subject(s)

• Symphonic Orchestra Performer

• Jazz Performer

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Performer of another genre (rock, country etc)

• Business owner

• Engineer

Votes: 28 26.9%
  • Non-music sales

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Recording Profession

• Other (Please specify)

Votes: 51 49.0%
  • College student

• Teenage student

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Composer

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Currently I am retired before that I was a maintenance mechanic servicing large tonnage injection molding machines including parts pick robots along with related equipment,
Now to keep myself busy I operate a small landscape business along with my grandkids, it provides a little extra income and keeps me busy spring through fall and provides a portion of the necessary funds to keep the grandkids racing dirt bikes up to snuff and running,
I took up and started playing sax close to ten years ago now, and have been fortunate to have been a part of our local community band as well as being a part of a small 4-6 person jazz group that gets together mostly for fun, all that is been put on hold for now because of the pandemic but I look forward to when get togethers are happening again

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Ph.D. Chem, but haven't worked in that fields for decades. I switched over to high performance computing when I realized the world didn't need that many chemists. My most interesting work was in communications design patterns, privacy engineering and risk quantification, and one small innovation in illuminated fountains. One weird note - I was both the lab assistant and test subject for the first identification of two vitamin C metabolites in humans. My pee will go down in history.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'm a 50/50 music and 'other'. I'm a part time University College Chaplain, and along with that a jazz musician and teacher. (With the exceptions of the present time, when most of my music earning is teaching online and not live - but like everyone hoping for the return to live soon!)

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I played professionally for about 20 years and got tired of the music business in general. Started my own web design company and merged with an IT company about 5 years ago.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I'm willing to bet there aren't any other surveyors around. We're a rare but necessary breed. Many of the same skill set as civil engineers. We model the ground before the design then we take what they design and put it on the ground in the right place. And a lot more. Plenty of math, calculations and problem solving in addition to a knowledge of land and title law.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,528 Posts
I'm willing to bet there aren't any other surveyors around. We're a rare but necessary breed. Many of the same skill set as civil engineers. We model the ground before the design then we take what they design and put it on the ground in the right place. And a lot more. Plenty of math, calculations and problem solving in addition to a knowledge of land and title law.
We have just instructed a topo on our property, fining out exactly what we need for the purpose has taught a thing or tow about surveys and surveyors.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I am a therapist (mental health) in private practice (clinical social worker). I have a master's degree in social work from the University of Texas. I am graduating next month with a master's in music performance from the University of Maine. Are you guys saying my new degree won't make me rich??? 😲

·
Registered
336 Posts
Played professionally for 46 years. Now primarily studio work. My primary occupation (for insurance) was as an IMAX projectionist for 33 years. Wrote my own schdule. 6 weeks paid vacation 7 personal days and 2 weeks sick. Great retirement. My scheduling flexability and ample time off allowed me to schedule gigs and small tours. Forced to retire early in May of last year due to covid. Don't miss work at all. Unemployment for the last 10 months, will continue to collect until they will no longer cut me checks. As soon as that happens SS and retirement funds will kick in. **** work.....Music, fishing, astrophotography, travel.... :)

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
We have just instructed a topo on our property, fining out exactly what we need for the purpose has taught a thing or tow about surveys and surveyors.
I hope you’ve been treated in a professional manner. The cost of a good topo map can be shocking. For every hour of field time there’s usually two hours of office time, typically.

It’s a good idea to do a boundary survey at the same time so you know where your property ends and your neighbor’s begins. People often just want a line staked for a fence and are shocked to get an estimate for $2000 to $5000 in the US. If you’re dealing with drainage issues the price only goes up. In the US, counties want a survey of the property and everything 100 feet beyond the boundary which necessitates a boundary survey. Good for surveyors not so good for owners. I hope it works out for you. PM me if you like.

edit- on second thought, I don’t know British land law so I probably couldn’t be of much use.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I've been a farm laborer; summer camp counselor & lifeguard; freelance graphic artist; radio announcer & sound editor; restaurant dishwasher & line cook; middle-school instructional aide; semi-pro musician; curator of music at a museum; private flute instructor; touring/recording pro musician; composer for drama, dance/theatre, & commercials; nonfiction book editor; freelance writer; advertising copywriter; Word Czar of an internet marketing startup; Creative Director of CD-ROM development & corporate marketing/design; university instructor of interactive media & guest lecturer on musicological topics; actor in independent films; voiceover artist in videogames, commercials, films, & museum exhibits.

I like to do new things, or old things in a new way. I've seldom had the patience, luck, or brains to stick around long enough for a big payout.

A few years ago I decided to drop everything else & play music again. My chops were rusty, connections expired. I chose to start at the bottom in an unfamiliar genre, among players who didn't know me from Adam. Showed up at a lot of jams, did a lot of woodshedding. By early 2020 I was sitting in with a terrific jazz quintet & playing dance parties with a startup swing combo. Then the pandemic took away our candy.

Am using the downtime to learn more about music. I wanna play!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
8,485 Posts
I never-ever want to retire. If Tony Bennet and Willie Nelson can play well into their 90s, I want to do that too.

It's my second favorite thing to do, and I don't know if I will be able to do my first favorite when I'm in my 90s :D

Notes

·
Registered
207 Posts
I’m an Elementary General Music teacher, in my 35th year, and looking forward to retiring in the next couple of years. In addition to that, I direct the Handbell Choir at my church. All my income is from music, but I didn’t see either of those choices in the poll. :(

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,329 Posts
OTHER . . . retired LAPD captain; retired Senior Staff Supervisor, Motion Picture Association U.S. Anti-Piracy Operations. Weekend warrior soprano sax player (traditional jazz) for 65 years.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Taught high school/middle school band & choir for 4 years until I burnt out.

Teaching music drove me to work in the beer industry & I'm now a Brewing Operations & Quality Manager with a much better life/work balance. I enjoy being a weekend warrior & still get my music fix with plenty of gigs throughout the year in a variety of settings.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts