Sax on the Web Forum banner

What is your primary occupation (source of income)?

• Band Director (College)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Band Director ( K-12)

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Repair Tech

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Instrument/Sheet/Uniform sales

• Choir Director

• Teacher of non-music subject(s)

• Symphonic Orchestra Performer

• Jazz Performer

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Performer of another genre (rock, country etc)

• Business owner

• Engineer

Votes: 28 26.9%
  • Non-music sales

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Recording Profession

• Other (Please specify)

Votes: 51 49.0%
  • College student

• Teenage student

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Composer

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
I am a biologist, working as a civil servant in the communications department of my organisation. Took up the saxophone almost 20 years ago and have been playing on and off for about 10 years. I take classes at the local music academy. The last month or two I am getting the impression that I am starting to learn how to play music. Before that it was more like playing a string of notes.... Still a long way to go, but it feels like I am on the right track. And that's a nice feeling.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,031 Posts
My only formal training is in music, but I earn my money as a data engineer. Music is still a huge part of my life, but I did not enjoy trying to pay my bills with it.

I was fortunate to have had the opportunity to learn engineering skills on the job and enough of a knack for it to be able to turn those learning opportunities into job opportunities.

During my years teaching/playing music, wrenching bikes, working retail, etc, I never would have imagined this would be somewhere I would get to. Life is funny sometimes.

·
2,064 Posts
I am a head of design at Capital One, leading teams to build financial resiliency tools for customers.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,312 Posts
Aside from playing gigs, which no longer exist, I'm retired. So I'd have to check 'other' in the poll.

When I did have a primary occupation, it was as a research geologist. I still consider myself a geologist but no longer work as one. I also had a second 'career' teaching kayaking & training kayaking instructors; wrote a book on it too, but after 20 years the royalties have diminished considerably. I've been lucky to mostly work in fields I enjoy. I did put myself through college painting houses, so I've also had experience doing manual labor. Been playing music on the side throughout.

·
1,367 Posts
I've always worked in technology except for the year where I was laid off and engraving. Right now I'm an engineering manager at Apple and I still co-own an organic boutique farm in Western New York. I've never made any real income from music but have been fortunate enough to have pretty steady playing opportunities over the years.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Accountant, but started off as an electrical engineering student.

There's a reason there have been numerous studies investigating the correlation between STEM and playing a musical instrument.

Reactions: Sacks Of Phones

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
I sort of remember that Apple wouldn't hire you unless you played a musical instrument. I think it was Apple.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Day job: Technical writer and QA engineer for data analytics, artificial intelligence, and machine learning platforms.
Non-COVID night/weekend job: Orchestral, chamber, and show pit clarinetist/bass clarinetist/saxophonist.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Yep. The kids wearing a sweaty band uniform and spats so we could march on a muddy football field at halftime.

Retired land surveyor. A branch of civil engineering. Strictly amateur sax and clarinet player.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts