Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'd like to hear your opinion about the New Vintage Otto Link metal tenor mpcs: how do they compare to the usual modern STM or NY link? Are they worth the extra-bucks?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
289 Posts
I bought one off SOTW that had already been refaced. Great jazz sound and versatile, big and husky on my Barone Vintage. I've used it on a friends 875 EX Yamaha and it had more of a core buzz to the sound, still a great sound. Wasn't a fan of the usual STM or NY links, I would say this gives you a wider palate to choose from in shaping your sound.

Any new link should get a visit from the refacer though, IMO. That's something you should include in the cost of buying a link.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I had one that had a really nice sound but was poorly-faced and extremely reed-picky as a result. If I found a reed that worked there was a lot more depth to the sound than your run-of-the-mill STM though, so in that sense I think it acheives the aim of having a more "vintage" sound. If you get one that's faced well it will have a nice dark, warm fuzzy kind of sound with a bit of brightness when pushed - basically it's a fairly classic jazz tenor mouthpiece design but the ones I've tried straight out of the box have not been well-faced, which is standard Otto Link fare at this point. They also fit slightly narrower on the cork than most other mouthpieces, for what that's worth.

basically I like them better than other modern Links in terms of design but they are consistently inconsistent.

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,229 Posts
I have a metal NV 10*, but don't play it often. It has a more dark and buzzy sound then some metal NY STM's I own (a 9* and 11). Also have a current STM 7*, but that's difficult to compare to the NV 10* because the big difference in tip size. My NV 10* sounds a bit thin in the higher register, which could be due to the combination of a big tip and big chamber with a low baffle. I played a NV 9* at a friends place, it had a bit more projecten in the upper register, so maybe the smaller tips are giving better results.

I still prefer 'real' vintage Link's by far above the NV pieces or modern STM's. I posted a soundclip to compare the NV 10* against some other 10* Links I own >here<. In the last post of the thread you can also find a link to a soundclip with the NY STM 11. Warning: I'm just an amateur player, but it can give you an idea on the differences in sound of those mouthpieces (when played by me, for other players the result could ofcourse be different!).

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
in response to mrpeebee, i suspect that the NV metal links work better at less open tips... they are a pretty low baffle design with a large chamber which if i understand correctly was modeled after the old Tonemasters. the ones i tried that i thought had potential to be quite nice were a 7 and a 7* so much more closed than the ones mrpeebee is referring to.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I used to own a NY Tonemaster, but mine was refaced, so I can't compare these to an original facing. These compare favorably to the one I used to have, but don't have as much presence behind the horn. In front of the horn, it's on the darker end of the spectrum, more spread...but unless you're playing against a reflective surface, it will sound like you're not projecting. This is untrue...it projects fine, but the sound seems flabby behind the horn.

Refaced, they can probably be extremely great players...they are inconsistent, but the ones I tried played decently, responded well. Again, the biggest issue I find is the lack of self-feedback...and this can probably be fixed with a reface.

I find them better than the regular and NY STMs in terms of what the audience will hear, but I prefer darker mouthpieces usually.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for your posts, I am thinking about getting one of those new vintage... Mr. Peebee, you sound great in those soundclips!!!!:headbang:

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've ordered one from Saxquest at a 6* opening with a Vand. Optimum Lig. I'll share my thoughts with you once I receive it. If it plays decent once I get it then I will probably send it in to the Mouthpiece Guys for them to go over.

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,229 Posts
Thanks everyone for your posts, I am thinking about getting one of those new vintage... Mr. Peebee, you sound great in those soundclips!!!!:headbang:
Thanks BaraBara:). If you like a darker tone it will be a very nice piece for you in the tip size you're used to play. Let us know when you have it and if you like it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts