Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought this might be fun and interesting since we all have songs we can't stand and often they are ones that are called at a jam when you are on stage. Here's mine:

Sweet Home Alabama because it seems that no matter what jam or gig I go to this song gets covered every time. I don't mind playing the riffs, but I can't stand singing the lyrics like we had to do in our combo for 3 whole years at every gig. So early on I started singing my own less than loving variation of them. Since most people here are not great with spoken or sung English, they don't notice anyway so it is my own personal joke at the expense of the song.

What's yours?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
18,530 Posts
In the setting you describe, Michael, it would be Mustang Sally.

In every big band I've ever played in, it is without hesitation-----In The Mood.

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well Mustang Sally is common but I like that, whereas Sweet Home Alabama seems to be the top choice for some reason and it gets more and more annoying each succeeding year. There are of course songs I abhor even more, but they don't seem to ever get played, thank god. A Horse With No Name by America is one that immediately comes to mind along with My Sharona.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2016
14,297 Posts
In the setting you describe, Michael, it would be Mustang Sally.

In every big band I've ever played in, it is without hesitation-----In The Mood.
Regarding In The Mood, I've always loved the Ernie Fields Orchestra version of it, with Plas Johnson taking the Tenor solo.

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Regarding In The Mood, I've always loved the Ernie Fields Orchestra version of it, with Plas Johnson taking the Tenor solo.
Yes, but what is your least favorite song Rob? This thread is about that.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Star Spangled Banner - across the pond they appear to love it but there are some cringe worthy renditions. I have to add that it is a tie with God Save the Queen though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,761 Posts
Life is too short to play lousy tunes, which is why I don't play in a cover band. When I was in a pop band most of the cover tunes didn't even have sax parts — great excuse to put the sax down and pick up my trusty tambourine.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
1,217 Posts
I intensely dislike the lyrics to Sweet Home Alabama, which I regard as an inherently racist song, but you're right Michael--it's almost impossible to play a bar gig without it. In defense of the patrons who love it and love to dance to it, I doubt they know who the hell George Wallace was and what he represented, if they even listen to the lyrics at all. I do, however, really enjoy playing rhythm mandolin to it.

I really dislike playing along to Horse With No Name, or even attempting a solo on it--makes me feel like I'm being tortured with a funnel in my mouth and water poured down it non-stop, without even any variation in the flow.

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I intensely dislike the lyrics to Sweet Home Alabama, which I regard as an inherently racist song, but you're right Michael--it's almost impossible to play a bar gig without it. In defense of the patrons who love it and love to dance to it, I doubt they know who the hell George Wallace was and what he represented, if they even listen to the lyrics at all. I do, however, really enjoy playing rhythm mandolin to it.

I really dislike playing along to Horse With No Name, or even attempting a solo on it--makes me feel like I'm being tortured with a funnel in my mouth and water poured down it non-stop, without even any variation in the flow.

Yep, that's my reason to a T, and of course I'll take Neil Young and Southern Man over Lanyard muleSkinner any day. Unfortunately over here some people who don't know a bit about American history and/or the import of the symbols of the Civil War, Slavery and racism, think the Confederate flag is just another bit of decorative design good to put up on bars walls or on Teeshirts. I try and explain but they don't get it. So I either won't play that song or I sing my own version of the lyrics.

And thankfully nobody has ever called Year Of The Cat at a jam or I would have to go to the john and puke. I abhor that song almost as much as I dislike Barbara Streisand and Neil Diamond.

·
Forum Contributor 2014-2017
1,000 Posts
For sheer listening agony, "A Horse With No Name" always tops my list by a country mile.

Bereft of musicality, the epitome of monotony, and sporting such laughable lyrics as: "There were plants and birds and rocks and things. There was sand and hills and rings."
It is to music what "Plan 9 From Outer Space" is to movies.
Even living through the 60's and a decade in San Francisco didn't soften my brain enough to endure more than a minute.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,348 Posts
I'll go with ST. JAMES INFIRMARY BLUES . . . a three-chord tune of little consequence and less challenge . . . and the lyrics are so depressing that drunks cry. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,017 Posts
Desperado - especially sung by young girls just learning to sing and play guitar.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts