Votes: 13 9.6%
  • Series III

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • Reference

Votes: 17 12.6%

What is your favorite Selmer?

7K views 39 replies 39 participants last post by  sugaki 
#1 ·
I'm not sure if this exists, but I didn't find it in search. Let me know if I forgot any big ones.

Mine is the Mark VI. I play alto.

If it is different for each kind of alto, just post the one that you would pick if you had to pick 1.

Reference refers to both the 36 and the 54 model.

#3 ·
Like you, my favorite ones are the ones I own.

#8 ·
The ref. 36 tenor. SOld all my other selmer saxophones as soon as I started playing (really playing it) and realized it was a mixture of the best qualities I liked from my good BA's, VI's and such, minus the quirks I can point on each model. It's without a doubt the best selmer tenor I've ever played.

#9 ·
I've had several altos....a long bow VI, a later production Serie II, a Buescher Aristocrat 140 and my current and favorite.....my early Mark VII alto. the VII alto is the one, my favorite of them all, always will be.....the keeper.

#10 ·
Ref 36, obviously tenor. It isn't yet my horn, but the first one since a veeery long time which would give my current Mk7 a break, probably some vacations. Have to free some cash though...
Let me add that all Selmerist (-ian ?) I can be, I DON'T like their sopranos. Japan and Italy is doing better in that chapter.

#12 ·
I am very happy with a number of Mk6 sellers (tenor 1958 and 1965, alto 1958, soprano 1978 and sopranino 1975). But, I feel there should be one option for Modele 22 as well, my 1922 alto modele 22 has a very sweet tone and might just be my favorite if it just had the front F key...
Bjorn :)

#18 ·
Just came back from playing a simply wonderful Cigar Cutter alto, gorgeous silver plate (obviously used, but in very good condition, even optically, and freshly overhauled). My nicest Selmer experience yet, bar none (even though I was able to play a MKVI Low Bb bari that really impressed me quite a bit - would have been mine if I had had the money). The horn had warmth in spades - never played anything like it before. So when I saw this poll, I had to vote for the Cigar Cutter. It's the first alto I'd actually sell my SA80II for in order to get it... I'll have to make my mind up about that since I can't afford it otherwise at the moment. :/

M.

#25 ·
Although I'm generally not a fan of Selmer's offerings (perhaps that disqualifies me from this poll?), I had a friend's early SA80 series I alto on loan to me for a while, and I have to say that was one damn fine horn. It put pretty much any Mark VI I've tried to shame, sound-wise (although the ergos were not for me) - beautiful ringing, complex sound, both dark & bright at the same time, if that makes any sense. It really was a special horn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.