Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,562 Posts
Tribute to Jack Johnson, Miles on the Corner, Live at the Fillmore East, Cellar Door Sessions, Bitches Brew...So many gold mines you really can't go wrong.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,062 Posts
"Kind of Blue" is a great record, no doubt about that, and it's been rightly recognized for its greatness over the decades. But it's far from my favorite Miles Davis album! Here are my favorites. Keep in mind that my taste is weird. I do lead a commercial-suicide progressive jazz/funk/fusion band on purpose, after all.

"The Sorcerer" -- my absolute favorite, I think. Incredible writing, playing, and vibe from Wayne, Herbie, and Tony, and a haunting, beautiful, inspiring, unsettling album overall.

"ESP" -- my other favorite "second quintet" album, and the first I ever heard from that particular group. This sometimes takes the top spot over "Sorcerer" depending on my mood. The two records are neck in neck for all the qualities I mentioned above and it's stellar.

"You're Under Arrest" -- yes, I actually love '80s Miles, and some of the best musicians who ever walked the earth grace this record. John Scofield in particular is mind-bogglingly awesome with both his playing and his writing.

"Live in Paris" -- if for no other reason than Kenny Garrett's solo on "Human Nature." And, again, stellar playing from everyone in the group. You gotta be ok with that '80s/early '90s aesthetic, and I certainly am, but the sounds aren't for everybody.

"Miles in the Sky" -- a beautiful transitional album between the "second quintet" vibe and the "Bitches Brew" vibe. The sense of creativity, freedom, and exploration is balanced with great writing and supremely good musicianship.

"Birth of the Cool" -- the opposite end of the spectrum, clearly, since I tend to prefer the more "modern" side of Miles. But this is a perfect album for what it is. The writing, arranging, and vibe are totally beautiful.

I like this thread. :) Looking forward to reading more of everyone else's favorites so I'm reminded of great albums I may have forgotten about, or learn about new ones!

EDIT: I meant, of course, "Live Around the World" -- Live in Paris is a John McLaughlin/Heart of Things album. Which is, incidentally, probably in my top 5 albums of all time by anyone. :)

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,562 Posts
"Kind of Blue" is a great record, no doubt about that, and it's been rightly recognized for its greatness over the decades. But it's far from my favorite Miles Davis album! Here are my favorites. Keep in mind that my taste is weird. I do lead a commercial-suicide progressive jazz/funk/fusion band on purpose, after all.

"The Sorcerer" -- my absolute favorite, I think. Incredible writing, playing, and vibe from Wayne, Herbie, and Tony, and a haunting, beautiful, inspiring, unsettling album overall.

"ESP" -- my other favorite "second quintet" album, and the first I ever heard from that particular group. This sometimes takes the top spot over "Sorcerer" depending on my mood. The two records are neck in neck for all the qualities I mentioned above and it's stellar.

"You're Under Arrest" -- yes, I actually love '80s Miles, and some of the best musicians who ever walked the earth grace this record. John Scofield in particular is mind-bogglingly awesome with both his playing and his writing.

"Live in Paris" -- if for no other reason than Kenny Garrett's solo on "Human Nature." And, again, stellar playing from everyone in the group. You gotta be ok with that '80s/early '90s aesthetic, and I certainly am, but the sounds aren't for everybody.

"Miles in the Sky" -- a beautiful transitional album between the "second quintet" vibe and the "Bitches Brew" vibe. The sense of creativity, freedom, and exploration is balanced with great writing and supremely good musicianship.

"Birth of the Cool" -- the opposite end of the spectrum, clearly, since I tend to prefer the more "modern" side of Miles. But this is a perfect album for what it is. The writing, arranging, and vibe are totally beautiful.

I like this thread. :) Looking forward to reading more of everyone else's favorites so I'm reminded of great albums I may have forgotten about, or learn about new ones!
Yes! That second quintet somehow gets overlooked a lot, and electric Miles is amazing!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
"58 Miles" mainly for the version of Love for Sale. Recorded in the same year as Milestones which is my other favorite. The personnel is pretty much the same as what played on KOB including Bill Evans.

"Sketches of Spain" for exactly what the title says.

"My Funny Valentine - Miles Davis in Concert" and "Four and More" both from the same concert and featuring George Coleman.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
Green Haze

[double album, lots of material where Miles is the only horn]

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
Bitches Brew. (I expect auto-censor will turn this into something unrecognizable so let me paraphrase:

Female Dog's Malted Adult Beverage.

But as far as a single performance, it would have to be "Love for Sale" which I believe first appeared on the US on the compilation "Circle in the Round". To me this is the most perfect, firm, round, tightly packed, set of heads and solos that was ever recorded.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
Miles Davis and Horns

·
Registered
114 Posts
Nearly impossible to choose just one, because he created so many different genres! I’ll go with “Bitches Brew”: there’s no other record that sounds anything like it. It’s anarchic but weirdly structured, mysterious yet powerful, terrifying but beautiful.

Folks are beginning to understand that whatever Miles was doing in the 70s, he wasn’t “selling out” — quite the opposite! Albums worthy of more attention and respect are “Dark Magus”, “Black Beauty”, “Live at Fillmore”, “Live Evil”, “Get Up With It”, “The Lost Quintet”

·
Registered
86 Posts
Wayne Era Miles:
Nefertiti

but also
E.S.P.
Miles Smiles
Sorcerer

The compositions - harmonic uniqueness, freedom and elasticity, fresh players and perspectives.

·
Registered
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
4,774 Posts
Everything with Kenny Garrett. It is all simply astounding

·
Registered
8,024 Posts
It’s hard to pick one but i know every tune on the Working, Cookin, etc. sides with the shout choruses. I’ve always loved the feel of Red Garland’s comping on those recordings.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I’m going to add Nefertiti too - I love Wayne’s compositions, but also I like the way the trumpet and sax interplay when playing the themes, and don’t really solo much.

Also, In a Silent Way, for sure.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts