Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, just trying to drive that post count up so I can sell all of my individual reeds at $5 a piece.

Just kidding. I'm genuinely curious- what are you an expert in when it comes to saxophone? Something that you know quite a bit about or a lot about that maybe not a lot of people do. I love hearing and learning about people's brains and seeing where their specific interest(s) or knowledge lies.

I'll say myself that I had a lot of experience with, shall we say, eclectic music growing up so even for my age (I turn 26 in 10 days) I know a fair bit about free jazz and avant-garde music in general.; everything from Lennie Trisano to Kaoru Abe to Captain Beefheart.

Thanks all, and happy posting!

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I think expert may be a stretch, but I always thought of myself as an excellent sight reader. Spent loads of time practicing the skill in college. Does that count?

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
I'm genuinely curious- what are you an expert in when it comes to saxophone?
I'll say myself that I had a lot of experience with, shall we say, eclectic music growing up so even for my age (I turn 26 in 10 days) I know a fair bit about free jazz and avant-garde music in general.; everything from ... to Captain Beefheart.
At saxophone, I’m an expert at nothing. Constantly learning.

Surprised that you mentioned Captain Beefheart, though, and curious how someone at 26 gets introduced to that.

About 30 years ago I bought a cassette tape of Trout Mask Replica - I’d read all this stuff of how edgy and spectacularly genius it was. Try as I might, I couldn’t deal with it - it was the worst crap I’d ever heard. Supposedly other people said the same thing, but something then clicked and they realized it was brilliant. Anyway, that’s the only piece of... that I ever threw in the garbage.

·
Registered
Flute, Electric Bass, Guitar, Mandolin
21 Posts
You may be serious, and I understand if you have not spent time listening to those recording before or during the 20's, 30's and 40's. As I did that I dove into their autobigraphies, and biographies. It often reads better than fiction! Keep in mind, it was another way for me to understand a bit about them, and (some of) the history that led up to Beefheart.

And, if you lower those reed prices to about a buck a piece, we will respond in a matter of minutes!

·
Registered
VI Soprano, Searchlight Alto, TH&C Tenor
1,354 Posts
Lick my Decals off Baby was Beefheart's personal favorite, and the highest regarded among his own Magic Band. Doc on the Radar Station may be his best, but I have a soft spot in my heart for Clear Spot. Her Eyes are a Blue Million Miles was used in the Big Lebowski, and Big Eyed Beans from Venus is ultimate crowd pleaser.

I saw him at the tiny 2nd Fret in Philly, during the Shiny Beast tour. Towards the end of the set he said "Now we're going to play the real stuff.", jammed his vintage soprano down onto the Shure 58 and cut loose for a good ten minutes.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I’m not an expert at anything saxophone, only been playing for 4 years.

I do have some skills in music theory that I’ve been developing for 30+ years. I am writing a book about structures for non-tonal improvisation. There’s a lot that could be said about that topic, and I think I have something valid to add to the conversation. (But not an “expert”)

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Surprised that you mentioned Captain Beefheart, though, and curious how someone at 26 gets introduced to that.

About 30 years ago I bought a cassette tape of Trout Mask Replica - I’d read all this stuff of how edgy and spectacularly genius it was. Try as I might, I couldn’t deal with it - it was the worst crap I’d ever heard. Supposedly other people said the same thing, but something then clicked and they realized it was brilliant. Anyway, that’s the only piece of... that I ever threw in the garbage.
My old man is a lot older than my contemporaries' parents- my dad was almost 42 when he had me. He joined the Air Force in '72 and after three years of training happened to miss out on the Vietnam War entirely and went to work with the British RAF in '75. While he was in basic up in Philly he went and saw a show in Bryn Mawr in 1974 and thought it was hilarious - he and his buddies bought cassettes for ****s and gigs. I found it at the top of his closet when I was a little kid and listened to everything in there, included a lot of wacky stuff and a lot of comedy groups, but that's the one that stuck with me.

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,465 Posts
Lick my Decals off Baby was Beefheart's personal favorite, and the highest regarded among his own Magic Band. Doc on the Radar Station may be his best, but I have a soft spot in my heart for Clear Spot. Her Eyes are a Blue Million Miles was used in the Big Lebowski, and Big Eyed Beans from Venus is ultimate crowd pleaser.

I saw him at the tiny 2nd Fret in Philly, during the Shiny Beast tour. Towards the end of the set he said "Now we're going to play the real stuff.", jammed his vintage soprano down onto the Shure 58 and cut loose for a good ten minutes.
I saw Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band in October 1967 at the first and last annual Sacramento Pop Music Festival. $3.00 advance tickets. It was held in the old 1920s vintage football stadium at the community college. Jefferson Airplane was the headliner. They showed up 40 minutes late and put on a lackluster performance. They really sucked.

The Capt. didn’t even make the festival posters. I honestly don’t remember the performance. I was 15. It was a long time ago, man.

From Setlist:
So far there are setlists of 8 gigs.

·
Registered
VI Soprano, Searchlight Alto, TH&C Tenor
1,354 Posts
I saw Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band in October 1967 at the first and last annual Sacramento Pop Music Festival. $3.00 advance tickets. It was held in the old 1920s vintage football stadium at the community college. Jefferson Airplane was the headliner. They showed up 40 minutes late and put on a lackluster performance. They really sucked.

The Capt. didn’t even make the festival posters. I honestly don’t remember the performance. I was 15. It was a long time ago, man.

From Setlist:
So far there are setlists of 8 gigs.

This would be after he had to drop out of Monterey Pop because Ry Cooder quit the band like a week before (because at a warm up appearance Beefheart suddenly walked off the back of the stage, claiming that a girl out front looked like a fish). So I‘m guessing this is with Jeff Cotton as they were going into that spooky Strictly Personal material, which I’m actually quite fond of. Could have been a real psychedelic show you saw.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts