Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just acquired a vintage Bari mouthpiece with no markings on it.
Hard Rubber with that vintage smell. To me it smells more like a good Indian curry rather than sulfur like that is so often described.
Big open chamber.
Very large outside diameter, a Rovner ligature that fits a Selmer S80 is far too small.
The ligature with it is a Selmer that appears to fitting perfectly although with a Legere reed it barely closes enough.
I truly love this mp.
But, does anyone know what this might be. Some thought Dukoff but it looks like none I have seen.
Did Selmer make this? The ligature looks correct for the taper that is steeper than most.
What years???
Cheers!
Dan
View attachment 225512 View attachment 225514 View attachment 225516 View attachment 225518 View attachment 225520 View attachment 225522 View attachment 225524 View attachment 225526

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Seeing no responses i must ask if the photos I uploaded of the mouthpiece are seen or only seen when I view them?
On my Android the images are not always displayed, tried both Chrome and the Samsung browsers. Works fine on desktop/laptop.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since posting I have cleaned this MP with Flitz. Just gentle polishing that removed most all of the "green" rubber oxide or whatever people wish to call the common color change we see. That also removed almost all of the sulfur /spicy smell. I will touch up a few spots a bit further. As far as what brand this is I wonder if it is an old Selmer since the traditional Selmer ligature on it fit the steep taper and large diameter so well. Any Brand logo may have been printed rather than engraved or pressed in, then simply worn off. Plus the pattern of oxidation on the rubber matches the ligature, at least indicating that it may have been on the MP for a long time. I did change to a Rovner Bass clarinet ligature as the Selmer on on it barely gets tight on the Legere Signature reed I am playing and the Selmer ligature forced the placement away from the tip more than needed. The Tip opening is about 105.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At this point having no one responding with any idea of exactly what it is, I believe it is actually a Bass Sax mouthpiece. Vintage to 1920 -1940. Bundy Bass sax MP look very similar. Bari sax reeds fit correctly but the MP must be pushed very far onto the neck. Not past the cork though. Jody Jazz has a DV series Bass MP that uses Bari reeds and works well for a Bari Sax as well as the intended Bass sax. This is mentioned by Jody himself. Anyone more ideas?????

·
Registered
707 Posts
It is strange that the cross-hatched pattern on the shank is so distinctive, yet no-one (including me) recognizes it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
I own an assortment of pickle barrel bari sax mpcs. None marked like this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts