Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look at the pics of this Tonalin on Ebay and tell me if this is normal. The seller says, "The previous owner added some filler to the interior of the mouthpiece, this could be removed if you like."

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Brilhar...=270700252874&ps=63&clkid=6995578025736308919

Filler?? What is that crap? It looks like a cross between bubble gum, bird poop and strawberry jam dribbled and glooped on with a cake froster. What purpose would that serve anyway? What style of baffle is that--abstract expressionist? Maybe the previous owner was a Jackson Pollock wannabe doing an artpiece.

He calls this "Good ++ condition" so I'm curious because maybe I don't know a good thing when I see it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
Looks like a tapeworm LOL

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,837 Posts
I think it must be some sort of denture fixing putty.........looks like an ornithological scatologic dejection

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,247 Posts

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What I love about the ad is his wording, "this could be removed if you like," as if he left it on because only an oddball would not jump at the chance to have a cream-white Tonalin stuffed up with a seagull's psychedelic nightmare.

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, if you knew before hand what the effect of a dogturd-shaped baffle is.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
What, you guys have never used salmon roe as a baffle before?

This has to be one of the all time worst mouthpiece listings I've ever seen although my favorite still is the guy who listed an amber Conn Connstellation as a "Urine colored mouthpiece". Yea , that's the way to attract bidders.

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It sold for $152.50 with 15 bids placed by 7 bidders, so I guess I really don't know a good thing when I see it.

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, and if he discovers it really can't be removed and/or doesn't play well, he can always attach a couple of big treble hooks to it and use it as a lure. That thing could probably catch some real lunkers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,536 Posts
The fact is that Brilharts are the worst pieces to mod. Arnold Brilhart was a very very very smart man, and he designed his mouthpieces that way for very good reasons. Don't mess with them, you will only destroy them.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,808 Posts
Yes, sax players only come in second to the amount of hype fishermen must endure.

Lures are designed to catch fishermen, not fish.
Don't forget golfers. They are ever a sucker for a gadget. And then, I'd guess, come electric guitarists.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts