Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo

I've just watched a video of some cat playing a Martin Magna Tenor like mine, but I've noticed his has got a screw that mine is missing. can someone tell me what this screw is doing, whether i should get a replacement and how urgent it is.

View attachment 234468

Cheers

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
That's a screw that is used to hold a lyre for when you're in marching band. Unless you have a need to put your music on a lyre while marching around you don't need it. It would be nice to have just to make the instrument complete. (mine is missing on my 10M) There are those who say that if you replace the stock one with a massive tungsten screw it will change the tonal quality of your instrument's sound. I just threw that in to stir the pot a little. ;0)

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-1515G...1557075433&s=musical-instruments&sr=1-4-spell

You can even buy replacements online provided the Martin screw threads match a Yamaha. https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Saxop...557075624&s=musical-instruments&sr=1-20-spell

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a screw that is used to hold a lyre for when you're in marching band. Unless you have a need to put your music on a lyre while marching around you don't need it. It would be nice to have just to make the instrument complete. (mine is missing on my 10M) There are those who say that if you replace the stock one with a massive tungsten screw it will change the tonal quality of your instrument's sound. I just threw that in to stir the pot a little. ;0)

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-1515G...1557075433&s=musical-instruments&sr=1-4-spell

You can even buy replacements online provided the Martin screw threads match a Yamaha. https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Saxop...557075624&s=musical-instruments&sr=1-20-spell
Ahhhh, I'm not missing anything then! Maybe I'll get round to it at some point but I've got a load of stuff to do first.

Thanks for the reply man.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
All of the American made saxes had screws with standard threads. Saxes made in Japan or France use metric threads.
Of course metric is standard here ...

But indeed, a lyre holder.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,408 Posts
What has that to do with anything? The horn was made in America when we were using all SAE threads.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
What has that to do with anything? The horn was made in America when we were using all SAE threads.
But the forum is international ;)

Anyway, not really important. I was just surprised by your use of the word "standard".

But I am curious now; do USA made saxophones also use a different types of point screws, compared to e.g. Selmer? Or is there some kind of standard size?

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,408 Posts
I didn't use the word 'standard' - I never made a comment in the thread until I read your comment. And the forum being international has nothing to do with the technical discussion on thread pitches on saxophones. Pivot screw and hinge rod threads vary on American saxes. The Martin for example has its own threads and also a different design of the pivot screw with a long rounded pin instead of the shorter tapered pin on the Selmer screw. I imagine its quite tedious for the instrument repair tech to have a set of taps and dies for all these kinds of threads.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,018 Posts
That is the volume knob. The one in the front is the gain.
I liked this answer.

But indeed, it's a screw for the lyre holder. I have the lyre holder on my 55-year-old Martin Official Music Man tenor. Without looking, I don't even know if I still have the screw in it. Probably not.

Edit: I just checked and sure enough, no screw. Probably gone a long time ago.

But if you can view this video on Facebook, I highly recommend it. https://www.facebook.com/lynden.bla...1557067162467694&notif_t=group_comment_follow

·
Registered
54 Posts
Back in high school my director wouldn't let anyone use a lyre while marching most of us by our sophomore year didn't use them in the stands either. Poor little useless lyres

·
3,920 Posts
@SE_HORNS
It’s actually code to other musicians....you have a few screws missing. Was it gone when purchased? You can probably pick one up on the floor of the Ace Cafe Early next Sunday morning for free. Common thread to most body piercings.
FYI, It’s actually for holding a tuning fork. Maybe your engineer failed to properly align it at last tune service.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I went to a costume party and the host asked me, "What are you?" I replied, "A harp!" Puzzled, he said, "Your costume's too small to be a harp!"
"Are you calling me a lyre?!" :p

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,600 Posts
Seriously, if you really want one, I think that I have quite a few. I bought out some old stock from a music store and the Ebay picture showed a bag of "Martin" thumb screws. I thought that they were the front neck screw, which are sometimes lost and hard to replace with something that looks original. Turns out that I bought lyre screws, which are similar but smaller. For the vast majority of players these are missing and not worth replacing (unless, as Zoot noted, you want that original Martin sound).

Mark

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,018 Posts
a bag of lyre screws ... I'm just amazed

1 - 20 of 36 Posts