Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Take a look:
http://www.saxophones.cc/SAC-G.aspx

It is from Canex music... I thought Aquilasax was the only one making new C Melodies. Or is it an Aquilasax one being sold through Canex?

It just surprised me to find a new C Melody for sale elsewhere than the Aquilasax site...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,177 Posts
Some companies will make a special design for a customer allowing a certain amount of no compete time. Could be the same horn or a copy.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
I really don't like green touch points.....

·
Registered
689 Posts
I've owned an Aquilasax and compared the one pic with the Aquilasax pic and see that the C#/C key looks very similar. It's quite possible they are the same horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,745 Posts
Aquilasax is made in China and the company which produces the Aquilasax for Steve Wedgewood sells the saxophones also to other people (whether that was part or not of the original agreement with Steve Wedgewood I don't know!). I have met them at the Frankfurt Messe and you could have it made private label for you.
Lee Mason also sells C melody saxophones. Identical to the Aquilasax and this other one. They all come from the only Chinese factory making them. Quality control and some details (pad and or springs) might differ.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,850 Posts
Yeah, that's the drawback to doing business with a factory in another country that will steal your product design and compete with you knowing that you have no real legal means to stop them from doing so. But hey, don't let me bring everyone down. It's just peachy they're building such fabulous horns now, ain't it?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,058 Posts
I've been e-talking to Lily at Canex for some months, but got tired of asking for good pictures - they only supplied poor pdf ones.

Certainly the lacquer models 'might' (if I could take a better look) be the product of the factory that supplies Aquilasax with C-Tenors, and also (afaik) Lee Mason.

But the 'gold' model is a little different, with (quote) "Double Braces On low Bb, B, and C". Not major differences, but implies more than just the same sax. Again, afaik, Steve @ Aquilasax doesn't offer either gold plating or double braces.

They quoted me prices of around US$450 for the lacquered ones, and US$550 for the gold (deluxe...) model, for initial evaluation units - plus shipping costs. Not a bargain price for an unknown pedigree, I was (and still am) undecided about proceeding, despite assurances like (quote) "We have the skilled workers and the advanced equipments in the workroom, before we delivery the saxophone, they will be checked 3 times by different technician, so we are confident with quality of our saxophones. I think you can trust quality of our saxophone.".

Anyone want to take a punt ? [rolleyes] I'll gladly introduce you to Lily...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,149 Posts
Aquilasax is made in China and the company which produces the Aquilasax for Steve Wedgewood sells the saxophones also to other people (whether that was part or not of the original agreement with Steve Wedgewood I don't know!). I have met them at the Frankfurt Messe and you could have it made private label for you.
Lee Mason also sells C melody saxophones. Identical to the Aquilasax and this other one. They all come from the only Chinese factory making them. Quality control and some details (pad and or springs) might differ.
This is what news writers call "burying the lead." Ie, this is the real point, but it's not stressed.

·
40,745 Posts
I don't know that the agreement that Steve Wedgwood achieved included exclusive rights , if it didn't (which I as a manager of such a factory would have only given away temporarily or against a minimum and considerable minimum yearly order......). Selling to other people might be perfectly part of the commercial agreement, we just don't know and it is not fair to speculate of the contrary.
Changing details big and small for any saxophone is within the norm in China and Taiwan to differentiate products among the different customers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,058 Posts
And the closer you get to the source, the more it becomes a quality lottery. Steve does his own post-factory QC, and no doubt rejects a few, so his price is naturally higher.

sax.co.uk sell the same (?) C Tenor in the UK, although they seem to call it just "Aquila", but for their 'expert tweaking' :lick: the price rises even higher, close to a thousand pounds (US$1600) - but by then you can hopefully be assured of a very playable sax...

Makes $500 'direct' seem attractive ?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had no idea that C melody Saxes were still manufactured.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,177 Posts
An associate of mine wanted to make a wood Eb soprano flute. The factory deal was that he had one year to sell on his own and they a free market for others. Probably similar on this C Melody.

·
40,745 Posts
Anybody notice the three small instruments lying sideways, just north of the clarinets? Any clues?
mason makes or has made some strange sort of keyless instruments the clarisax en keyless sopranino he has a Connn clar-o-sax

cover your hears! As usual the playing is horrible.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Ugh! Prototypes? Brass Xaphoons? Metal recorders? If they have any potential put them in the hands of a professional Mr. Mason!!

·
40,745 Posts
An associate of mine wanted to make a wood Eb soprano flute. The factory deal was that he had one year to sell on his own and they a free market for others. Probably similar on this C Melody.
That's what I thought too.....

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III & Naked Lady
29,814 Posts
Yeah, that's the drawback to doing business with a factory in another country that will steal your product design and compete with you knowing that you have no real legal means to stop them from doing so.
Are you sure the designs are stolen in this case? If not I hope you have a good lawyer to defend a libel action :) .

I did try that C melody at Frankfurt this year, they were keen to take on board my suggestions on how to improve it. (No one of those suggestions wasn't to make it in Bb)

Mainly I didn't like the octave mechanism or the intonation when used with my mouthpiece, but that is no surprise of course.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So nobody has actually purchased one of these little curiosities? I actually kind of like the green touches... I'm just wondering about the bore and if its designed off of a Conn as the Aquilasax ones are. I figured at least one C-Melody entusiast would have tried one of these at some point... I found it by googling "C-Melody Saxophone".... not very hard to find...

Edit: Sorry Pete I missed the part where you said you tried one of them.... what did you think about the horn as far as sounding closer to a Tenor or and Alto?

No one of those suggestions was not to make it in Bb?!? Double negative means every suggestion was to make it in Bb am I correct?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts