Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Keilwerth SX-90R tenor a few years ago from a college kid because his professor demanded that he switch to Selmer if he was serious. (yikes!)

Apparently he tried to "center" his tone by buying an aftermarket neck for the Keilwerth. The neck came with the horn - and I have no need for it. It plays just fine.. but I like the Keilwerth "sauce".

What is this thing? It's got some sort of "prancing lion on a shield" badge.

View attachment 250546

Is it worth anything?

Thanks!
-Mark.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,782 Posts
Is that an R and S on the side of the shield?

Everything is worth something but how much will depend upon how desirable this neck is.

I should think this is a Lion ( rampant, pointing right), not a griffin or gryphon, which would have wings.

Read this definition

“ The Griffin (or Gryphon) is a legendary creature with the body of a lion and the head and wings of an eagle. Combining the attributes of the "King of the Beasts" and the "King of the Air", it was thought to be especially powerful and majestic. Griffins appear widely as school sports team mascots, in heraldry and in corporate logos.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep.. I'd agree. It's a Griffin, not a lion.

I don't think there's any lettering on the sides of the shield, it's just the scrollwork on both sides of the shield.

So.. nobody recognizes this, eh?

Thanks!
-Mark.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Griffon. You can see the little wings coming off his shoulders.

As to the neck, who knows? Could be pretty much anything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah.. was hoping it was a "known brand" being that it's paired with a high end horn (Keilwerith SX-90R) to play "classic". Wonder where they got the thing?

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
Looks to me like it's a copy of a common shield design.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,107 Posts
It looks like an older Yamaha neck (52/62). The tuning fork logo is glued into that little recessed area and it’s not uncommon for them to pop out.

Without more pictures, my vote is Yamaha with a cool little medallion stuck in there to replace the missing one. OR, if you want to go out on a limb, maybe someone made an aftermarket neck using a Yamaha lever or modified a Yamaha neck and that is their logo. My thought is the former is most likely.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,398 Posts
Its just a rampant lion on a shield.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,782 Posts
like this (it’s a tem used in Heraldry )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexter_and_sinister

The word comes from the word for left historically there is an association ( in all European languages) with the words for right and left having also other meaning one for good things and the other for bad things it’s an interesting of language philosophy and semiotics.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts