Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mum bought a secondhand alto saxophone and few years ago and now she wants me to sell it. I know nothing about saxophones and can't even find the make and model written anywhere on the instrument or on the case.

This is the sax in its case:

The front has a floral engraving:

Close-ups of the pattern:

The serial number is 8182:

The neck, also engraved with serial no. 8182:

Can anyone help? I have no idea how much to ask for this instrument, I can't tell if it's worth £50 or £500! Any advice appreciated.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
It looks like an inexpensive China or PRC made Selmer knock off. Are there any markings on the horn at all other than the numbers stamped under the keywork as illustrated?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. No, there's just the flower pattern on the bell and the serial numbers. (Took me about half an hour to even find the serial number markings!) Assuming it's a cheap knock-off, how much could we expect for it?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,811 Posts
well Saxismyaxe said it, this could be a Vietnamese, Chinese or a Taiwanese horn (although, I must say, I've never seen on these kind of horns the rather fine detail of putting a number (which in other older horns is part of the whole serial number) under some key. There is no way to know, and even if you could come up with a " Brandname " this would be probably just a name which the importer chose to sell his horns under (Even Phil Barone does so with his fine Taiwanese horns). So, you, and any other who has a similar problem, stand no chance whatsoever to ever find out who exactly made this horn unless it says Jin-Bao or something to that effect.

·
38,811 Posts
Thanks for the reply. No, there's just the flower pattern on the bell and the serial numbers. (Took me about half an hour to even find the serial number markings!) Assuming it's a cheap knock-off, how much could we expect for it?
You can buy a horn like this , new, for as little as 250$ adjusted and guaranteed ........so in all honesty don't expect more than 100$ - 150$. Good luck!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Put it on ebay starting at £50, if you get £100 consider yourself lucky...but what else are you gonna do with it if you don't sell it?

·
Registered
307 Posts
If it plays and you're happy with it, then it will probably be a good first sax. No need to upgrade it until you know why you want something better.

·
38,811 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
That looks quite a bit like my Venus tenor.
Especially that floral engraving looks really familiar.

There have been a couple of reports of Venus saxes occasionally being shipped with the floral pattern but without the usual Venus tag and the serial number, but of the usual Venus quality.
The serial# is laser engraved and might be hard to see on the golden finish.

But I would not bet on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts