Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm sorry to bother you, but I just purchased an rather unusual soprano and can't for the life of me find any info about it whatsoever anywhere on the web, and the owner had no idea either.

It's a medium-quality, "saxello" style soprano with a tipped bell and two neckpieces, one curved and one straight. The horn is definately nickel plated (not chrome or silver), highly polished and quite heavy. It doesn't appear to be terribly old (I'd guess less than 20 years old). It's hard to tell because it appears to have been recently refurbished (all new pads and cork -except neckpieces- and thoroughly cleaned and polished). The case is old and cheap -no way to tell if it's original or not. There is a matching three digit serial number or maybe model number (stamped with three individual number stamps "344") in several places; on each neckpiece, on a couple of keys and on the body. It has some modest engraving, and no manufacturers name or location on either the horn or case.
View attachment 2151
View attachment 2150
The only identification, and it's rather odd, is a solid oval brass plaque soldered onto the bell about 1/16" thick and 2" wide with nicely carved script letters on it (hard to read because of the style of the script); it either says PULE or TULE or perhaps GULE (none of which mean anything to me and internet searches have turned up nothing).
View attachment 2152
The horn plays generally very well, and has a modern, open voice. The key action is medium (neither soft or crisp, but right in the middle) and the mechanics seem very solid and if anything perhaps a bit overbuilt. The left hand palette keys are quite close to the body. The finish quality of the keys is good; surfaces are nicely finished, but there are file marks, etc on the undersides of some keys. The springs seem to be mostly aluminum with a few made of steel. Buttons are fake MOP.

It seems too nice a horn to be one of the really cheap $200 chinese eBay ones, but regardless, I haven't been able to find any pics on the web that exactly match the style, layout and keywork. I'm guessing it maybe is an asian horn, but the brass plaque is strange, AND what's driving me crazy is I've seen this plaque before either Craigslist or eBay within the last year. The previous owner said he's had the horn for 2 years and got it in a pawn shop, so I don't know if it's the same horn or not.

Thanks for reading this, and any help you might give me would be sincerely appreciated.

Paul

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought one . Mine is laquered brass in color with nickel keys. Again no manufacturer or serial or country. Just the metal tag on the bell with PULE (in script writing)
Because of its weight I think it could be from Europe.
Because of the font I was also thinking that maybe it might not say PULE but something totally different in another language.
I couldn't find anything. It too is a better quality sax.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,880 Posts

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Come on, Milandro — you're from Europe — and you're not exactly a lightweight…

·
38,880 Posts
Touché :twisted: I have you know Sir Mike that I’ve lost 10Kg in 12 month :bluewink2:

by the way, could it be that this horn is a GULF and that the italic typeface might seem the names mentioned above.

Of course Gulf is NOT European , some say Taiwanese but they also had Chinese stuff amongst the lot.

·
38,880 Posts
I applaude this, but no there have been older ones.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts