Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
Conn transitional just behind the New Wonder II.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,107 Posts
Man, that price is getting up there. The engraving is just the base level engraving that was offered then, pretty common.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Mine — 251xxx — has no engraving at all. These are still one of the best tenors ever made. The HUGE TONE is to die for. Selmer aficionados whinge about the "ergos" — but there's nothing wrong with the ergos, except that they're very different from Selmer's. As another poster said above, this is an example of a Transitional tenor, with production moving from the NW II to the 10M Artist. The high side E key is raised at an angle and sculpted to fit the RH index finger. This was one of the first changes made to the NW II. By the way, the NW II tenor is often called a "Chu"; however, that's a misnomer, because Leon "Chu" Berry didn't play an NW II; the horn he made his name playing, the horn which he'd bought on hire purchase and which he was still paying off when he was killed in a horrific car crash was one of these.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
That would be an example of the lowest cost finish - probably plain clear lacquer. The engraving was typically minimal. It's the silver and gold plated ones that typically have the more elaborate engraving. Interestingly enough all the nickel plated ones I've seen also have very simple engraving. I wonder if the thickness of Ni plating makes elaborate engraving pointless?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,981 Posts
That would be an example of the lowest cost finish - probably plain clear lacquer.
Unknown if it was bare brass or possibly lacquered to begin with, but that's certainly not its original finish.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Unknown if it was bare brass or possibly lacquered to begin with, but that's certainly not its original finish.
I'm guessing it's late enough that the lowest level finish was lacquer.

I agree that it's been stripped buffed and relacquered. The color is not consistent with 90 year old lacquer.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’m still so sad for Conn.
they made the most beautiful instruments, visually and tonally.
Sad to see the demise of such a solid lineup.

·
25,981 Posts
I’m still so sad for Conn.
they made the most beautiful instruments, visually and tonally.
Sad to see the demise of such a solid lineup.
I'd like to think of it as they built horns to last a lifetime; and they instead lasted several.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,107 Posts
Until 1933, bare brass (lacquered after 1929) or nickel plated Conn saxes had only the name brand engraved.

During 1932 the script style name changed to modern gothic capitals (see pontius' horn upthread).

About 255xxx s/n, a simplified Naked Lady design appears, used till about 270xxx when it became more elaborate.

·
25,981 Posts
Until 1933, bare brass (lacquered after 1929) or nickel plated Conn saxes had only the name brand engraved.
My silver plated 1920 Conn bari has only the name brand engraved.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
I am a little confused about the vintage of that horn, according to the Conn-Selmer breakdown https://www.conn-selmer.com/en-us/resources/serial-numbers/cg-conn-instrument-serial-numbers anything with an M prefix is 1969, what am I missing?
Around 1962 the serial numbers were almost 7 digits and they started anew with letters for the years in front of the numbers. There are also some horns with 4 digit numbers at that time. The M in front of the vintage numbers indicated saxophones whereas N was for clarinets, O for flutes, etc.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Around 1962 the serial numbers were almost 7 digits and they started anew with letters for the years in front of the numbers. There are also some horns with 4 digit numbers at that time. The M in front of the vintage numbers indicated saxophones whereas N was for clarinets, O for flutes, etc.
Thanks Bruce! View attachment 255180

So then this means B=Bass
M (saxophone) S# = 1926
L low pitch?

That 'M" got me confused with "m" but this explains why I could never figure out why all my Conns were 1969... DUH... Brainfart!
:(:(

·
7,107 Posts
My silver plated 1920 Conn bari has only the name brand engraved.
Probably a replate...is it all bright or sandblasted?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
Thanks Bruce! View attachment 255180

So then this means B=Bass
M (saxophone) S# = 1926
L low pitch?

That 'M" got me confused with "m" but this explains why I could never figure out why all my Conns were 1969... DUH... Brainfart!
:(:(
To add to the confusion, They used the letters like S, C, A, T, B (for bari and bass) until after WWII. Then it was the key E=Eb alto, B=Bb tenor, etc.

·
7,107 Posts
1933 257k 10M example with decent engraving, though very likely not original lacquer:
It's clearly not original - there's lacquer over the cuttings.

And either the keys were nickel-plated, or it used to be an all-nickel horn - altho a nickel finish is durable enough that it's almost never lacquered over. Conn was alone among US makers in offering all-nickel-plated saxes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts